• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen Mandrel

Jim

Grand Master
How long do you keep the same mandrel due to it starting to wobble? Or do you try to return it back to been straight, if so how do you do this? :nooidea:

I now use my mandrel with just one half of the pen on it when turning, i only extend this to the pair when sanding and polishing as i find this method the best way of not bending the mandrel. :ciggrin:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I have used a number of these mandrels in about 18 months, the 1st one i bent with over tightening the screw, i know it was this as i had to use my plyers to slacken it off when i wanted to remove the turned pens. The 2nd one i bent it really bad when i was actually trying to straighten it whilst in the lathe with a mallet :whistling: Made it worse. Now i do as Jim does and only turn one half of the pen at time and have no issues. :ciggrin:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
This will be a handy tool when it becomes available in the UK :rolling: The Better Pen Mandrel

Well i'll be damned, just read the site again and it is in the UK, Oxford to be precise. :goesred:

Last edited:

The Wood Bucket

I have never seen a mandrel bend from over tightening the nut. It normally bends because of too much pressure from tail stock. If you are only turning one blank at a time you may want to look into bushings that you use between centers. No mandrel required.

Jim

Grand Master
I do actually turn between centers on certain projects WB, but 9 times from 10 i turn one half at a time then sand and finish both together. By doing this i find i get better fittings with the accents ... :ciggrin:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I use one of these Precision Machines from Craft Supplies. as well as different methods the sleeved fit of the nose is accurate and firmish with an adjustable collet on the drive end both quick and convenient.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).