• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hi all

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi All

Does any one use a casting resin that comes in a 50/50 formula, I want to start casting small amounts into wood for jewelry, see Brenden Stemp, trying to measure 1% of 25ml - 30ml is too difficult, I figure a 50/50 mix will be much easier to work with. Any UK supplier would be appreciated.

Regards
Kevin

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Hi Kevin & welcome :waver:

Can't help re the casting, not my bag, but you've come to the right place for good advice.

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi Peter

Is that the Clear Cast PU that the company have for sale, I'm afaid I'm still not up with nomenclature so I'm not sure what a 1 hour epoxy is...but I do understand the bit about mixing in the powders....:winking:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter

Is that the Clear Cast PU that the company have for sale, I'm afaid I'm still not up with nomenclature so I'm not sure what a 1 hour epoxy is...but I do understand the bit about mixing in the powders....:winking:

Yes Clear Cast PU is a two part resin that is mixed 50/50 be careful though as you have very little pot life once it is mixed and it really should be used with pressure as it is much thicker than PE. Epoxy resin is also a two part mix, you must have heard of epoxy. Poundland do 24gr of two part epoxy resin for £1, but it is 4-6 minutes so you have to work very quickly. A friend of mine buys larger quantities of 1hour 2 part epoxy that he kindly fills in 10ml syringes for me, giving me 20ml. I find the 1 hour epoxy gives me loads of time to get done what I want whereas the 4-6 mins isn't always enough time.

Peter

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi Peter

Again my lack of knowledge, 2 part epoxy is, as far as I understood it a glue, I use it for pen tubes, I didn't make the leap that epoxy resin was the same stuff, :goesred:
As I want something with a reasonable pot life, what would you suggest in the 2 part category.
Regards
Kevin

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter

Again my lack of knowledge, 2 part epoxy is, as far as I understood it a glue, I use it for pen tubes, I didn't make the leap that epoxy resin was the same stuff, :goesred:
As I want something with a reasonable pot life, what would you suggest in the 2 part category.
Regards
Kevin

There are different epoxies with different pot life I know of 4-6mins, 15mins, 30mins and 1 hour there may be others.

As for PU resin I believe there is an additive to prolong pot life, but I have never used it and I seem to remember that it doesn't prolong by much. Get hold of one of the suppliers and ask them about the pot life. I know you can prolong it by cooling it, but that also makes it thicker and harder to mix.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).