• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Food dyed pen

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Hi, i made this slimline pen from a piece of oak, alternate ivory used on the center band, sanded and then finished using green food dye. :thumbs:

Attachments

• IMG_4675.JPG
    IMG_4675.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 25

Jim

Grand Master
I like to see innovation Andy, maybe i would have gone heavier with the dye, but it does look good. :bwink:

Jed Baxter

Registered
I like the style, i would never had thought of using food dye to stain the pen as there are more expensive things to use :whistling: is it a common practice using food dye, does it ware away? Also do you seal it after applying it? Like the others i would also go with more depth of colour. :thumbs:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Nice idea, Alan. I tried acrylics as a colour ant early on, but had little success so never tried colouring again. Might give food colouring a go now I've seen this!

Jed, you crack me up! :funny:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Well done mate, the dye has a nice colour to it, maybe there is a little to much wood showing but a nice pen still the same. :bwink:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Thanks for the comments guys, yeah more colour wood have been better, it did cross my mind but i wanted to see some wood purposely, but maybe i over done it. :rolling: I dont know if it is common practice Jed, i read it on another site. :ciggrin:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).