• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Was you brought up in a turning family?

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Or like me are you the first to start the ball rolling? I have only been at this turning lark about 2 years, but i am seasonal as i hate the cold so i will not be in the workshop during the winter months. I started off making boxes the most before i got on to making pens, i now can't get out of the silly habit. :devil:

Jim

Grand Master
My Father was an engineer and had metal lathes, he used to make steam engines .. But wasn't interested in wood at all. Like you Tony i have been at it about 3 to 4 years but worked away from home quite a bit over the same years so never really got into a rut. Now i am at home regular i enjoy my weekends in the shed. :bwink:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
My Father was an engineer and had metal lathes, he used to make steam engines .. But wasn't interested in wood at all. Like you Tony i have been at it about 3 to 4 years but worked away from home quite a bit over the same years so never really got into a rut. Now i am at home regular i enjoy my weekends in the shed. :bwink:

I am like you fellas in my elder brothers were engineers and I went into the electrical side. I always fancied working with wood but couldn't afford it when I was younger due to family committments and also there wasnt much in the way of DIY tools. After working around the world I decided to start buying all the equipment needed for cabinet making but as I was getting near retirement a friend introduced me to woodturning. The rest is history!!!
Regards
Terry:thinks:

creaky

Apprentice Member
Well I am 62 now and have had many hobbies, motorcycle racing first of all and probably the best of them, but turning is definitely a close second and I really enjoy playing with spinning bits of wood. If nothing else my granddaughters rabbit has some shavings to sleep on.:oldman:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
My Father was an engineer and had metal lathes, he used to make steam engines:

That the neighbor I want, always wanted to do this.

No one in my family are turners :nooidea:

I did a bit wood and metal turning at school, then years later when bought my house , I started to buy some hand power tool and it just kept going from there.
I made a jig to turn pens on my drill press but wasn't happy with it
After I got my first lathe, well that is first lathe with a MT in the head stock spindle my pen making took off from there

Jed Baxter

Registered
I took up turning from memories when at school. I decided i needed a hobby and chose turning as i had done it at school and liked it, no one is or was into turning in my family. :bwink:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Hi Terry, Yes Clarke Chapman was (and indeed still exists, though not on such a huge scale as it once did) in Gateshead.

Not sure how this got posted twice, feel free to delete it Jim.

Walter the reason I am asking is I am a Gateshead lad who nearly took an apprenticeship at Clarkies. But the main reason I am asking is our next but one neighbour in Lobley Hill Gateshead was called Walter Hall and he worked at Clarkies all his life and I was wondering if there was any family connection?
Regards
Terry

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
My dad was an accountant, but enjoyed woodworking as a hobby. He made good stuff, but stuck to the basics - 2 by 4s and dowel joints kind of thing. I learned to love wood from him, but never used a lathe until a year or two back.

trapper

Registered
Me Too,
Im a commercial Lawyer by profession, rather was not no more. Dad was an engineer and I'm lucky to have his Journals...... evrything he did or thought about is written down some real whacky ideas and many "what ifs" and "best not" comments it must have been contagious........ now wheres that darn number for Penturners Anonymous

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).