• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen author

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Reading Walter's introduction post got me thinking, so i will share my thoughts. If you had the chance to write about a pen what style would you choose to write about and why?

The baron pen is my favourite pen of all time, i love the style it is very easy to shape, it looks good with anything on its back, from wood to acrylics it is very rare to see a poor looking baron. :thumbs:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
If I was writing a how to article that covered as many aspects of making as possible I agree the baron would be a good choice as would the Jr. Gent.

However I am thinking of writing an article about things you can do to "improve" the basic slimline.

trapper

Registered
Hi Walter,
I'm currently working on several "slimline" based projects in so far as they use the cross mechanism and refill....... a tutorial wil shortly be uploaded regarding making finnials, grip/nib sections and customising the refills etc. One of the demo pens will be "kitified" if thats a word and made available as a branded set of upgrade components.........take a look at some of my prior posts as a description of the journey so far. I'm always open to collaboration and particularly need a professional writer to do some instructions to go with the sets.pm me if you are interested.

Jed Baxter

Registered
I like the baron pen, it has style without the cost, if you understand what i mean? The slimline is also a decent pn toi say it is lower market (to some) :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
As you have probably noticed with the pens that i add here, the Slimline is without doubt my favourite. There is no end to what can be done using this pen. The very fact that being able to use other pen parts, from the Euro or Streamline for instant to give a different outlook of the final results. The style that the pen is finished, is in the hand of the turner and not the kit. I like the Baron kit, don't get me wrong, but you are limited to the finished style, with the Slimline the world is your oyster, if you have a good and vivid imagination you will come good with this kit. I have made many different styled pens, and find it very hard to sell High End pens in the area where i live, i don't have the same issue with a Slimline which i sell from £10 minimum to £20 maximum depending on what work i have put into making the pen. I don't make Euro or Cigar pens any more, these were no sellers for me, if someone wants a slightly thicker barrel i will do this with the Slimline. You have a whole lot more choices using the Slimline, it is so versatile, that is why i love this kit ... I take my hat off to George and Steve on how they can work out of the zone and produce pens using their imagination from parts laid around that we would normally place in the bin! Walter i look forward to reading your article, can you please get a move on .... :ciggrin:

Attachments

• DSCF2108.JPG
    DSCF2108.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 1

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
As you have probably noticed with the pens that i add here, the Slimline is without doubt my favourite. There is no end to what can be done using this pen. The very fact that being able to use other pen parts, from the Euro or Streamline for instant to give a different outlook of the final results. The style that the pen is finished, is in the hand of the turner and not the kit. I like the Baron kit, don't get me wrong, but you are limited to the finished style, with the Slimline the world is your oyster, if you have a good and vivid imagination you will come good with this kit. I have made many different styled pens, and find it very hard to sell High End pens in the area where i live, i don't have the same issue with a Slimline which i sell from £10 minimum to £20 maximum depending on what work i have put into making the pen. I don't make Euro or Cigar pens any more, these were no sellers for me, if someone wants a slightly thicker barrel i will do this with the Slimline. You have a whole lot more choices using the Slimline, it is so versatile, that is why i love this kit ... I take my hat off to George and Steve on how they can work out of the zone and produce pens using their imagination from parts laid around that we would normally place in the bin! Walter i look forward to reading your article, can you please get a move on .... :ciggrin:

Looking forward to seeing your methods and ideas next week Jim!!!

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Still on for the 1st Terry .... :thinks:

Yes Jim. I thought if I get over to your place just after lunch I could spend the afternoon at your place and then we could go to Birstall for 7pm ish. I believe that is what he said. Correct me if I'm wrong. What do you think to that??
You'll have to pm your address and maybe your mobile number.
Regards
Terry

Jim

Grand Master
Yes Jim. I thought if I get over to your place just after lunch I could spend the afternoon at your place and then we could go to Birstall for 7pm ish. I believe that is what he said. Correct me if I'm wrong. What do you think to that??
You'll have to pm your address and maybe your mobile number.
Regards
Terry

Sounds good Terry .... :bwink:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
The sierra for me, this is also stylish, it is a good weight with only one barrel to turn. A pen for the ladies. :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).