• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

turning time

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
I have played around with resin for a while making paperweights but never used it on the lathe, but now having a go at making my own Polyester pen blanks, after casting how long would you leave them before turning?:nooidea:

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi

Your guess is right, Grump innit a fan of resin, innit

I generally leave mine for about 3 days just to make sure everything is as it should be, but when you watch them on YT they drill and turn after 24 hours, but as YT is edited it could be weeks, I'm sure Pete will be along to give us the right answer

Well done for taking the plunge, now I'm gonna recommend you watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t0LiLmiu9A&list=UUYJ4e0XACGJQjJvfmVUcE-Q
to see what else can be done with resin to make a bob or two, if you like the look of that I have another one up my sleeve to see what else you can do to a bit of resin.

Regards

Kevin

Jim

Grand Master
I love the idea of using different stuff to make things

Exactly Roy, sad that others don't really ..

24 hours should be sufficient for the casting to go off, well it has been in the past for me .. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Kevin, Thanks mate really great to hear a fellow countryman speaking especially he seems to be a very kind and sharing person much like yourself. I will look for work by a mate of mine who takes this gumnut business to a fine art with bud vases and send it since this post of yours is about others work.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Quick look Bud Vase (he gets 800 dollars for them).

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Attachments

• Bud Vases 1775x1624 [640x480].JPG
    Bud Vases 1775x1624 [640x480].JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 32

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi Peter

These are spectacular, quite spectacular, does your friend stabilise the burrs first, it looks like fairly advanced segmentation in the sense that it is multi layered, not sure if I have the visual imagination to see that in my minds eye let alone bring it to life.

Thanks for sharing this.

Regards

Kevin

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).