• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bugger!!!!

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
Well my first attempt at making my own blank failed miserably it was looking so promising too but it was full of bubbles, I don't have a vacuum chamber (yet), something else to go on my ,I want one list!!! tried to save it but it wasn't good, will just keep it as a house pen :down:
20140720_3.jpg20140720_2.jpg

Attachments

• 20140720_1.jpg
    20140720_1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 63

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Roy, you don't need a vacuum chamber, if you are just doing straight acrylic you could use a pressure pot, not vacuum, but you really don't need one with PR. I use an ultra-sonic cleaner bath with hot water in it. The resin in a suitable plastic cup goes into the hot water in the bath and switch on the cleaner you will see the bubble rise to the top especially once the PR has warmed up. You can still get small bubble in the casting, but CA takes care of them and you don't see any evidence of bubbles.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I use an ULTRA 6000 it's a simple model I bought years ago to clean coins. If I was buying one now for the acrylic I would get one with an adjustable timer and probably a heater, but the timer would be more of a benefit than the heater as I can always put more hot water in. Mine runs for about 3 minutes and then I have to press go again, I like to run mine for about 12minutes or more depending on if I have one cup of resin in or several. If you didn't heat up your resin when you made your blank, you will see a difference with warm resin, even just sitting in the sun and stirring slowly you will see the bubbles come to the top.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That is such a shame Roy, you've made a lovely coloured blank there but its a lesson learned and hopefully the next will be better... and the next. :thumbs:

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
I will have a go at using vibration to remove bubbles and I have ordered a ultra-sonic cleaner bath as recommended by Peter and will try again when it arrives ...apparently something from Anne Summers isn't suitable :devil:

smoker

First Name
Steve
I use the JPL 8060H from Maplins i clean for 20 mins and this model has a de-gas function,
use this for 10 mins to get rid of any tiny bubbles that are left this model also has a heater which i set at 40
degrees add catalyst stir in for 2-3 mins and pour. If i am casting in clear i use a dental vibrating table to release
any bubbles trapped under the tubes usually give this about 5 mins and any bubbles that float to the top
move to the side with a tooth pick. no problems. I use this method for my Feather, Fly and Feather and Watch part blanks.

Will post examples soon.

Steve.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I use the JPL 8060H from Maplins i clean for 20 mins and this model has a de-gas function,
use this for 10 mins to get rid of any tiny bubbles that are left this model also has a heater which i set at 40
degrees add catalyst stir in for 2-3 mins and pour. If i am casting in clear i use a dental vibrating table to release
any bubbles trapped under the tubes usually give this about 5 mins and any bubbles that float to the top
move to the side with a tooth pick. no problems. I use this method for my Feather, Fly and Feather and Watch part blanks.

Will post examples soon.

Steve.

I had a vortex mixer that I picked up from a Uni skip it was brilliant until it gave up the ghost which was only a week or two after I got it. I am looking out for anther one,but they are like hen's teeth in the skip.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).