• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lip and Spur drill bits

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I've had two blanks blow out on me, the only difference between them and others being that I drilled them with a lip and spur bit. (Both of them actually blew out while drilling.) has anyone else had similar experiences? I used the lip and spur because when I used to drill on the pillar drill it kept the bit centred better, although I now drill on the lathe.

I need to finish this damn pen so I can do the scalloping tutorial!

:vangry::vangry::vangry:

Jim

Grand Master
What material was the blanks David, and what speed was you drilling at ??? :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
Segmented is already weaker, i have never drilled a segmented blank at that speed, the fastest i do now is 800 rpm using a colt, none colt drills i go to 500 rpm ... :thinks:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Did the blow out occur when the drill exited the blank or when it hit the beer can metal,

I try not to drill my blanks through now drill a bit longer then trim it of on the band saw.
If it is where the wood meets the metal, try swapping the drill to a normal 118° drill bit unless you are lucky enough to have a 135° Bit.
Any fragile blanks I drill at very slow speed 100 rpm or so.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I prefer bullet tip bits (De Walt Extreme2) to lip and spur. The bullet tip still centres the hole but the rest of the drill just acts like a normal twist drill which (in my opinion) has less tendency to follow the grain than lip and spur. I have no technical evidence to support this, just what I have found in my own experience.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Did the blow out occur when the drill exited the blank or when it hit the beer can metal,

I try not to drill my blanks through now drill a bit longer then trim it of on the band saw.
If it is where the wood meets the metal, try swapping the drill to a normal 118° drill bit unless you are lucky enough to have a 135° Bit.
Any fragile blanks I drill at very slow speed 100 rpm or so.

It blows out when the drill point meets the can metal, wm460. I'll try a normal bit, or if I can I'll follow Walter's advice and get a bullet-tip. Also makes good sense to slow the lathe down.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
What are you gluing the blank with, I only use 24 hr epoxy.

I use CA, Mark. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem though, as I have drilled the exact same segmented blank (only for the barrel, not the cap) with a normal bit and had no problem. I just don't (make that didn't) have the right size bit for the cap.

Walter, I went to Screwfix today and did my relationship with my wife some serious damage ... £66 later I am the proud owner of a set of DeWalt Extreme 2's from 3mm to 13mm in 1/2mm increments! When she sees my credit card bill I'm going to blame you!

:whistling::whistling:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I am happy to carry the can David. I am a safe distance from Hampshire. :ciggrin:

Edith and I have an arrangement where I don't complain when she spends her money on shoes and she doesn't complain when I spend mine on tools. :thumbs:

Now that sounds spot on, i can't see you wearing her shoes, nor you letting her use your tools. :devil:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I use CA, Mark. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem though, as I have drilled the exact same segmented blank (only for the barrel, not the cap) with a normal bit and had no problem. I just don't (make that didn't) have the right size bit for the cap.

Walter, I went to Screwfix today and did my relationship with my wife some serious damage ... £66 later I am the proud owner of a set of DeWalt Extreme 2's from 3mm to 13mm in 1/2mm increments! When she sees my credit card bill I'm going to blame you!

:whistling::whistling:

I had a lot of issues with CA giving out.

Is this the set you got? $98.73 AUD not a bad price.
Wonder if they post to Aust, been looking around for a new set of metric drill set, never seen these in a set before.

DeWalt Extreme 2 HSS Drill Bit Set 29Pc | Screwfix.com

Jim

Grand Master
I just got one (well a few months ago) they are not sized, but in alphabetical sizes ... :ciggrin:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).