• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Tried my hand at segmenting on a Sierra!!

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I've never really got into segmenting but had a bash today. The segmenting is a piece of red perspex sandwiched between a bluey grey piece of corian and a white piece of corian. I'm not sure about the gold and chrome kit going with the 3 colours in the blank. Methinks an all chrome kit would have been better.
The corian supplied courtesy of Jim.
The perspex supplied courtesy of Woody.
The Sierra kit supplied courtesy of Dan.

Attachments

• 003 copy.jpg
    003 copy.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 78

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Nice job on the segmenting looks well turned:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

The corian supplied courtesy of Jim.
The perspex supplied courtesy of Woody.
The Sierra kit supplied courtesy of Dan.
You forgot one
"The turning courtesy of Terry"

Paul

Fellow
I like it terry. I take your concern about it being on a busy kit, but actually it's so busy that it works well IMHO. Naturally turned well and finished.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That's a job well done terry, it looks great:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
You done a sterling job with the segmenting Terry .. Looks good on the pen, i wouldn't worry about the gold my friend .. Looks good as it is .. :thumbs:

Very nice Terry, how do you find the best way to prepare the surfaces of the corian and acrylic for bonding, a sawn surface is usually a little rough or uneven I find.:thumbs:

Just a rub with 180 sand paper does the job Ray .. :winking:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Very nice Terry, how do you find the best way to prepare the surfaces of the corian and acrylic for bonding, a sawn surface is usually a little rough or uneven I find.:thumbs:

As Jim has said a rub with 180 grit. If sanding by hand just be careful that you do it slowly so as to keep a perfectly flat finish otherwise gaps will appear when you mate the 2 parts together !!!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).