• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Fly and Feather plus Watch Parts Pens

smoker

First Name
Steve
The type of pens i sold out of on Sunday starting to replenish stocks today.
I know they are a bit chunky, they have to be in case of break out, they a
take fair time to dress the tubes, but i think it's worth it.
What do you think.

Steve.001.jpg

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You can't not like these init?
I wouldn't like to make the fiddly things though.

smoker

First Name
Steve
You can't not like these init?
I wouldn't like to make the fiddly things though.

The watch part are the worst Brian, it take a good hour to stick everything to the
tubes, you have to keep going back to the parts you stuck because the bloody things
slide out of position.

Jim

Grand Master
Amazing blanks Steve, it is clear why you sold out of them my friend .. :thumbs: Did you flatten the hook before gluing it to the blank ?? :thinks:

smoker

First Name
Steve
Fly and Feather Blanks

Amazing blanks Steve, it is clear why you sold out of them my friend .. :thumbs: Did you flatten the hook before gluing it to the blank ?? :thinks:

No i could not bend them sideways, i tried but they all broke on the bend,
that's the reason for the chunky finish. I will try to apply heat to the hook and bend before i dress it.

Steve/

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The watch part are the worst Brian, it take a good hour to stick everything to the
tubes, you have to keep going back to the parts you stuck because the bloody things
slide out of position.

That depends on what glue you use, when I use CA, they stay out, pva they slide.

Peter

smoker

First Name
Steve
That depends on what glue you use, when I use CA, they stay out, pva they slide.

Peter

I did use CA but you don't have much working time, the one i use is a clear glue pen from Staples It's quite thick,
but if you put to much on that's when they slide. It's a bit of a phobia of mine, one of the Belt and Braces Generation
i'm afraid, it was drummed into me as an apprentice to always use plenty of glue.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I did use CA but you don't have much working time, the one i use is a clear glue pen from Staples It's quite thick,
but if you put to much on that's when they slide. It's a bit of a phobia of mine, one of the Belt and Braces Generation
i'm afraid, it was drummed into me as an apprentice to always use plenty of glue.

I forgot to say lovely pens:thumbs:

There is no need for lots of glue especially if it's CA, I dry place the part to make sure that's where I want it then a touch of CA on the back of the part then place, hold, it's stuck, but each to his own. What kind of glue is Staple clear glue?

Peter

smoker

First Name
Steve
I forgot to say lovely pens:thumbs:

There is no need for lots of glue especially if it's CA, I dry place the part to make sure that's where I want it then a touch of CA on the back of the part then place, hold, it's stuck, but each to his own. What kind of glue is Staple clear glue?

Peter

From what i can gather it's a general paper glue, and does not react with the resin.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
From what i can gather it's a general paper glue, and does not react with the resin.

Ok, thanks, I use PVA as well depending on what I am gluing, especially paper, usually the tutorials from the usa say to use modge podge for labels etc, which is a PVA glue. It seals well and is inert in the resin.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Steve I do prefer a white background even though it is unforgiving for feather pens with a hook do you fit one on each side? I s that a Mallard Duck feather with the hook?

The addition of a short trace can add to the composition.

Got my watch parts all ready for some time now will need to make or buy a dapping system to shape the larger gears etc to the blank shape and get a suitable block to drift out the tiny gear shafts from the train wheels as well. At this stage I have so many calls on so little time together with my dental drill stuff and nail art supplies I bought from a nail technician so long ago.

Like your pens great to see your progress mate.

Kind regards Peter.:thinks::thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Absolutely fantastic Steve, I hope you command a good price for them

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).