• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lathe Alignment Issue

Jim

Grand Master
Over the last few days i have noticed that when bringing up the tailstock to the front of the headstock it was not running free, so i loosened the 4 cap screws holding the two alignment plates, this solved my problem. The problem after this was the alignment of the tail and head were out, but each time i tightened the cap screws after realigning the plates i ran back into my first issue of the tailstock being tight .... :vangry: To cut it short it took me over two hours to solve the issue ... Day now gone, and still no pens turned since last weekend ... :goesred: Some ready thou so i hope to be turning tomorrow, my holiday week is fast diminishing ... :whistling:

trapper

Registered
JIM
Okies here is my Papa's way of doing it: loosen off both stocks. Add a three jaw chuck to the tailstock. pull it right back feed a hard rod through the back of the headstock until the tail chuck can bite it. now mount a collet or other through chuck in the headstock capable of swallowing the rod push the rod through the headstock bite it with the headstock chuck now tighten both stocks to the lathe bed remove the rod, remove the chucks . the stocks should be aligned. hope it helps

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks Frankie, i will remember that should i have to do it all again ... :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
The keys S.T.E.V.E were stuck on my keyboard and wouldn't work for some reason, so i chose a similar name, didn't think anyone would notice to be honest. :bwink:

My problem wasn't originally the alignment, this occurred once i loosened the cap screws on the plates below the tailstock. But i appreciate all the comments .. They will be here for another day i am sure . :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).