• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Why no Pens Have Been Turned

Jim

Grand Master
I finally got around to turning a couple of pens today that i had already prepared days earlier. Which i will post a little later, but first i will rant a little about the last four days ....:whistling:

I had a few jobs which i knew wanted doing months ago but i always put them off as i relish the time i get at weekends to spend in the shed turning, preparing and planning my next pens. (Sad I know) Last weekend knowing that i had the following week off i decided to do the little jobs that have been annoying me the last few months, well four days later i got finished, i really didn't believe that all this time would be taken for jobs i thought would take no more than one day. :nooidea:

Some of the tasks that i had taken on were to rearrange the lighting, i had shadows at my back, and certain parts of the shed looked dark. I removed the fluorescent lighting and replaced them with standard 100 watt bulbs, then after one day it still looked dark so i had to re-run a loop and put the lights fluorescent lights back in. I rearranged my wood piles and moved other items around to improve the space i work in. I spent half a day realigning the lathe after making adjustments to the tailstock as it wasn't running freely the last few weeks. Finally spent a day trying to get the radial saw i have to cut square, this is still not 100% and needs a little more work on it, but it is ok for cutting 1" blanks ... Well at least i have the rest of the week to myself ... :thumbs:

Not forgetting the big clean up for my VIP visit tomorrow .... :devil:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
hope you have a good day... my job finished today arrgh:down: so Il be painting the inside walls of the shed tomorrow:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Just to add, i seem to have droppsies, never noticed this until the last four days, and the amount of times i was on all fours because it had gone under my work bench ... :rolling:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Well need to learn how to fit a consumer unit to get electric to it and paint the floor got 25L of grey floor paint for free uni bond the concrete first then build the benches maybe 2weeks sooner if i can :thumbs:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Well need to learn how to fit a consumer unit to get electric to it and paint the floor got 25L of grey floor paint for free uni bond the concrete first then build the benches maybe 2weeks sooner if i can :thumbs:

Frankie, I fitted a CU in my garden office with little problem, but I got a sparky mate to check it over thoroughly before I flicked the switch. Sorry to get all 'elf & safety' on you, but leccy kills! If you're not 110% confident get someone who knows their stuff to walk you through it.

Rant over ...:ave_it:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Just to add, i seem to have droppsies, never noticed this until the last four days, and the amount of times i was on all fours because it had gone under my work bench ... :rolling:

Must be contagious :vangry::vangry:

Except for my welding bench all my benches are one wheels. All though some of them dont move to good because of the weight in them now.

Miss Google explained to what a consumer unit is, if you are at that stage, start thinking as to where you want your power points, then add some more, when I built my shed I had six double power points put in.
Since then I have added another double and a four switch power point in the shed and a double power point out side.

The out side double and the light switched for the lights above the two benches was a major removal job :vangry::vangry::vangry:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I finally got around to turning a couple of pens today that i had already prepared days earlier. Which i will post a little later, but first i will rant a little about the last four days ....:whistling:

I had a few jobs which i knew wanted doing months ago but i always put them off as i relish the time i get at weekends to spend in the shed turning, preparing and planning my next pens. (Sad I know) Last weekend knowing that i had the following week off i decided to do the little jobs that have been annoying me the last few months, well four days later i got finished, i really didn't believe that all this time would be taken for jobs i thought would take no more than one day. :nooidea:

Some of the tasks that i had taken on were to rearrange the lighting, i had shadows at my back, and certain parts of the shed looked dark. I removed the fluorescent lighting and replaced them with standard 100 watt bulbs, then after one day it still looked dark so i had to re-run a loop and put the lights fluorescent lights back in. I rearranged my wood piles and moved other items around to improve the space i work in. I spent half a day realigning the lathe after making adjustments to the tailstock as it wasn't running freely the last few weeks. Finally spent a day trying to get the radial saw i have to cut square, this is still not 100% and needs a little more work on it, but it is ok for cutting 1" blanks ... Well at least i have the rest of the week to myself ... :thumbs:

Not forgetting the big clean up for my VIP visit tomorrow .... :devil:

I think I had better put my best suit on!!!!!! lol:funny::funny::funny:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
but the wiring diagram give you the idea

You have to pass Institute of Electrical Engineers "P" certificate to be allowed to work on domestic installations. That is the law and it has been brought out to stop DIYers creating dangerous situations through dodgy working practices!!!!!!!:nonono::nonono::nonono:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
true but the is a loop hole which lets you just have it signed off by a trained engineer

Jim

Grand Master
I think Alex was just showing Frankie a diagram of a CU Terry, not showing how to do it ... :ciggrin:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
true but the is a loop hole which lets you just have it signed off by a trained engineer

That is correct I'll give you that but It can be passed and certificated but the engineer can't always see bad practices. ie if you put in an underground cable to your workshop what depth have you put the cable.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).