• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Tool care

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Hi guys can I pick your brains again. I have a couple tools that I need to clean up and don't want to damage them. Would I be ok to clean them up using wd40 or gt85 . Or is there anything you can suggest that would be better.

Thanks in advance..

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
As Rays says or you could use wire wool. WD40 is a good cleaner but don't leave any on there as it attracts the dust.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Start using them, that'll soon clean em up.
Only one part needs to be worried about that 's the sharp bit on the end.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
One of my other hobbies is restoring old tools. Whilst Brian is right and the only bit that really matters from a practical point of view is the sharp bit at the end what you need to do depends upon what you want to achieve.

For a quick clean up, wire wool or abrasive pads will remove light rust. A rust removing gel like Hammerite Rust Remover Gel will remove anything more serious.

If you get serious about restoring tools then Shield Technology Corrosion Control Products are very effective but also expensive.

Once your tools are free from rust, one of the best ways to protect them is a wipe over with camellia oil which will protect the steel but will not stain wood.

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
What about silicon spray for protection Walter? To clean dirt or grease off my bike I would just use good old paraffin. Then dry that off.

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
I certainly second what Walter said about Camellia oil. I have used it for years on all my tools and it works well to keep rust at bay and does not stain the wood. I use a small 35mm film container loaded with felt and then soaked in the oil. A quick wipe down at the end of each use just becomes second nature.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Big fan of Camellia oil very thin coating only too generous the moisture builds up under the coating provides a haven for future rust.

Peter,

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).