• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Complete beginner !

Lainey

First Name
Elaine
Hello to you all,
I suppose I can't even describe myself as a beginner , I've got as far as buying two books, looking on "You Tube" and searching out this forum . So I guess I'm a pr-beginner. I've never even been in the same room as a lathe, so that clearly defines my level of skill and knowledge ! We has to fell an on oak tree that has sentimental significance to our family. Although small by oak tree standards, I feel there will be enough wood to make something . I am hoping to have a plant stand made of the trunk. Having kept all the branches , I wondered if I would be able to make pens from them . I would appreciate any information on seasoning , lathes, tools , and any other information I may need.
I note something is happening in York soon , Hopefully I may be able to attend ,
I look forward to participating in this forum,
Kind regards
Lainey

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Hi Lainey,
You have just done the best thing you could before going and buying all you need to start turning. I'm not going to give you any advice as there are plenty of people on the forum who are far more qualified than me and able to do so... but beware, once you start turning you'll never be able to stop!

Welcome to the most friendly forum on the planet with lots of banter and good advice. :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Lainey, we have all been in your predicament my friend .. :thumbs: You are doing the right thing in as far as trying to gather as much knowledge as you can before starting out, if you are wanting to get into this hobby i would suggest making a visit to see Philip Greenwood at Hutton-le-Hole for some lessons .. If you can make the trip to the Meet that Neil Lawton is organising you will be able to talk with many members here including Philip Greenwood .. :thumbs:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Hi Lainey welcome to the forum.
If you can make the 16th you are most welcome. They're all a bit oddball but they do know a thing or two about turning!:bwink:

If you would like to pop over sometime and have a go on a lathe, just let me know. If you bring some of the Oak, I can cut and seal some blanks for you and run you through the seasoning process.
Regards,
Neil

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Exactly, and whoever said I don't know nothing, I'l like to inform them that I do know nothing. So there :funny:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Welcome Lainey stay here to long and it will be loony they are all stark staring bonkers on here apart from me that is watch out for Mr chairman plonker he has been away for a week so he is after a bit of action

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Welcome Lainey stay here to long and it will be loony they are all stark staring bonkers on here apart from me that is watch out for Mr chairman plonker he has been away for a week so he is after a bit of action

Possibly an unfortunate turn of phrase for our new lady forum member Woody:whistling:
Don't worry Elaine, Terry is very, very old:devil:

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
Welcome Lainey ,I too hadn't even seen a lathe until April this year but now churning out pens like a madman and really enjoying myself and learning tons of stuff from these guys on here ,although my credit card hates them!!!

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Welcome Lainey,

Glad you have come along, they need a few more new ones to dilute the insanity on the forum. Never know you might even gain some knowledge along the way. but be carefull, if you take too much off the old ones :bwink: they are struggling with their memory already..:funny:

Look forward to seeing you progress and cant wait to see your first turned item..:thumbs:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Possibly an unfortunate turn of phrase for our new lady forum member Woody:whistling:
Don't worry Elaine, Terry is very, very old:devil:

:funny::funny: Well done Woody, glad you put your foot in before I did.

Welcome aboard Lainey, I guess you've formed a picture of some of the inmates by now.:wink:

I guess I won't be posting any more sexist jokes. (You aren't Irish as well - are you?):whistling:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Another welcome here. Most on here are mad the rest well they are just lunatics. Just ask any questions does not matter how silly it may sound someone will probably answer.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).