• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Jet JSS-16 Bench Top Variable Speed Scroll Saw Review

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Reter (Buckeye) asked a little while ago if I would do a review of the Jet JSS-16 Bench Top Variable Speed Scroll Saw that I bought at the end of June.
Well I've been that bust with other stuff I hadn't had a chance to use it properly until today.

Since buying it I have seen a couple of reports about the blade mounting holes being off line and other manufacturing faults. I was expecting the worse but am glad to say I only have one gripe about it which I will come to later.

The Jet JSS-16 is a hobby rated scroll saw. It came with a good set of tools and 6 spare blades. There is a perspex guard which is pretty useless and once you lower it you can't see what your working on properly. I have removed this. I like the variable speed (400-1,600 cpm) although at higher speed it did vibrate a bit. But that could have been the wood I was using (21mm thick cherry).

Changing the blades is fairly easy with the pinned blades. I did have a problem trying to fit the unpinned blade to the lower arm to begin with, but again that could just be me (cack handed get that I am).

Overall I am pleased with the Jet JSS-16 The only real down side for me is the blower. Yes it blows but the pipe is that short the air hardly reaches the blade. So you spend just as much time blowing the dust away yourself as you do cutting. I think this could be easily modified to work better.

My first creation is in progress, but I snapped 3 blades today .... I said I was cack handed didn't I :goesred: and it is nearly 40 years since I have used a scroll/fret saw :whistling:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thank you Chas, I don't know how you sneaked that past everyone, I have been waiting patiently for it and it was already there. Now that you have used it a bit more do you have anything to add?

Thanks again for that Chas and I really didn't see it at all.

I have just seen that your post has had 215 views and not 1 miserable bugger could say thank you to you for doing the review.

Peter

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Got by me also .. :goesred: Are you still using it Chas? :thinks:

The problem I have is space, Jim. If I want to use the scroll saw, it has to be outside on a collapsible table :rolling:
Can you imagine what it is like doing that in Manchester (where all the locals have webbed feet) under a carport, that leaks? :rant:
I'd like to use it more than I'm getting the opportunity to. :sadmo:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The problem I have is space, Jim. If I want to use the scroll saw, it has to be outside on a collapsible table :rolling:
Can you imagine what it is like doing that in Manchester (where all the locals have webbed feet) under a carport, that leaks? :rant:
I'd like to use it more than I'm getting the opportunity to. :sadmo:

Can't you get the missus to hold up a brolly while you are scrollsawing:whistling:

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Something I observed when you get the blowing part organise try to direct it to the off side that puff of super fine dust is the killer stuff.

Peter.:thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).