• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My First kitless

InkyFingers

Hi Guys,

With reference to an earlier post about taps and die I decided to but the 6.5 and 7.4 x 0.5 from Silver Pend parts. I managed not to pay vat and all the other charges you can occasionally get caught with and I got a rebate on the postage. Now I have made my first kitless fountain pen.

I used a schmidt nib with filler and a modified clip from a Slimline kit. The blanks (2) are from Axi.
I started with the instructions from http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/kitless-fountain-pen.pdf but these do not show how to fit a clip so I had to experiment.

I did find this afterwards however The Clip "story" - Pen Turning and Making - The Fountain Pen Network but it seems a big step for a beginner.

Threads: I used a 3/8 BSB for the section to barrel and 1/2 BSB for cap to barrel. The schmidt nib uses 6.5x0.5mm.

Things I learned:
Don't drill acrylic to fast it melts and produces a much bigger hole than the drill.​
The diameter of the end of the barrel has to be less than the core diameter of the cap to barrel threads otherwise you cannot post the cap.​
You can't get the clip you want so had to modify the slimline one and hack at the cap end.​

The bad drilling of the first hole meant I didn't have enough of the same blank for the finial and the cap so the patterns don't match.

Overall length 135mm
Barrel diameter 12.5mm
Cap length 50mm
Barrel length 88mm
Section length 18mm
Posted 170mm

Some photos
IMG_3334.JPGIMG_3333.JPGIMG_3330.JPG

Sorry about the photo's although there's a lovely sunset going on

IMG_3335.JPG

there's not quite enough light to take good photo's. I remember seeing a thread on taking pen photo's, I'll have to read up on it.

Cheers

Inky

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Nowt wrong with that for a first attempt! I like the shape of the section, and you've got the feed nice and snug in there. Not too sure about the 1/2" BSP threading for cap-to-barrel (a very visible thread) - looks a bit agricultural to my eye. By which I mean it's a coarse thread which to me doesn't match a very fine instrument. But things can only get better! Looking forward to more.

Jim

Grand Master
Very well done Inky, i like the final shape my friend .. Overall a very good looking pen .. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That is bloody marvellous and something for me to aim at doing. Thanks for showing.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Great looking pen Inky..

Superb looking pen, the thread is not too bad, at least it holds the cap on.. Init..:thumbs:

Great effort and great finish.. Top marks..

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Reall impressive work Inky Digits (name please) loved the sharing aspect as well, kind of you to show and tell so clearly I like the thread I find a courser thread harder to cut than a fine one you did very well.

Thanks for showing, detail and experiences a big double digit click from me mate.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs::goesred::thanxs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Reall impressive work Inky Digits (name please) loved the sharing aspect as well, kind of you to show and tell so clearly I like the thread I find a courser thread harder to cut than a fine one you did very well.

Thanks for showing, detail and experiences a big double digit click from me mate.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs::goesred::thanxs: PPPPSSSS my computer is not showing my posts sorry for the duplicates this morning like me the minus 5 C this morning.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That's a fantastic effort, it looks superb:thumbs:

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That's a fantastic effort, it looks superb:thumbs:

Peter

Doubly so!

Last edited:

InkyFingers

Hi All,
Many thanks for you comments.

I'm quite pleased with it and now having made mistakes the next on will be much better.

The threads are BSB not BSP. BSB is british standard brass at 26 tpi. This is about 1mm pitch which is coarser than the 0.75mm threads I read others have used. It looks reasonable when in the hand. I think the photo contrasts the thread more than the eye and makes it look coarser. I need to work out how to polish the threads. Poliching liquid and a toothbrush didn't work to well. I may try a stiffer brush next.

The nib needed a little bit of polishing and it now writes well on Clairefontaine paper.

I have another pair of blanks so I'll get on with my next one soon. I'm going to make a write up for it as I do it so I can contribute something back for the advice already given me.

Got a couple of Comforts and Slimlines to make first.

Cheers

Inky

PS specially for Penpal it was about 13C this morning,
Andy

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).