• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Laser engraving

Pete B

Registered
Hi,

does anyone know anywhere hopefully in the North East that does laser engraving cheaply please.
I have at different times plain timber boxes i need laser engraving, possibly barrels as well, i don't do this as yet and am reluctant as i think it spoils some pens but i might have to.
I use a very nice chap in Yorkshire but its proving a problem with postage here and there mounting up and Royal mail have just increased prices.

A different question. I have been looking for what seems like forever at laseer engravering machines on ebay for about £450 or less, like this one

USB CO2 LASER ENGRAVING CUTTING MACHINE ENGRAVER/NEW e1 | eBay

they look identical to ones in the UK for over £1100 last time i looked.
I am sceptical because if it lasted 2 minutes it would be a problem as i couldn't just send it back.The sundries would not be a problem, but it would have to be at least reliable to pay for itself. It would have to do at least 2o boxes approximately to break even based on what i am charged. £20/ box plus return postage and a one off every so often as the engraver keeps a stock on my boxes.
I just wondered if anyone had any experience of these reliability and quality of engraving wise etc.

Regards

Pete

Jim

Grand Master
Pete, i not 100% certain but David (Jimjam) does something similar to this, or is it just CNC work he does? He may be the man that can help you out ... :thinks:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Pete, I don't have a laser cutter YET! E expensive components in a laser machine are the tube and the power supply - everything else is cheaply got and replaced. As far as electronics go, cheaper machines will have 'all-in-one' integrated boards so if one component goes you'll have to replace the whole thing, but its still not particularly expensive.

The machine in your link is a 40W which is going to limit you as far as depth of cut is concerned. If all you want to do is engrave I'm pretty sure you'll get your use out of it. If you want to start cutting timber at some point you'll want to look for a larger cutting area and possibly an 80W tube.

If you fancy building your own, have a look at Build Your CNC. They have just added a laser cutter to their site.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Oh, one more thing: you'll be fine engraving a FLAT surface like a pen box lid. Barrels will be a challenge. Lasers only have a X and a Y axis, the traditional Z axis is replaced by a focus adjustment on the lens. Very small variations in distance from lens to surface (like on a curved barrel) can have a significant effect on the engraved result. You'll have to suck it and see, not really easy to predict what the results will be.

If you want to get into barrel engraving/cutting, you may want to either look at more expensive stuff that has a 4th axis add-on (which rotates the barrel to keep the surface at a constant distance from the lens) or investigate the practicalities of designing your own.

trapper

Registered
Be carefull about buying a laser from china they only work with there rather limited and poor software, it is possible to make it work with mach3 but not an easy task. I'm working on something that will do it basicaly its a cnc machine with the pen tubes on a mandrel much in the same way as a pen wizard . Problem I cant get sorted is the mandrel so sadly its work in progress. I do know of a company in the Forest of dean that do it but far from cheap........ have look for jewellers that engrave trophy and silver items they probably can do it

trapper

Registered
Pete, There are several professional machines available but you need a lottery win to buy one prices start at £4800.00 + vat. I'm in the process of building a cnc rotary engraver and will post an article on the build in a month or two the main problem is the software to make it work .

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I'm in the process of building a cnc rotary engraver and will post an article on the build in a month or two the main problem is the software to make it work .
Now that I would be very interestd to see as I am dabbling at the moment myself (sort of).

Jim

Grand Master
Pete, There are several professional machines available but you need a lottery win to buy one prices start at £4800.00 + vat. I'm in the process of building a cnc rotary engraver and will post an article on the build in a month or two the main problem is the software to make it work .

Steve, in your neck of the woods does the days consist of 24 hours ... :goesred: You must have the same energy levels as Matty ... :ciggrin:

trapper

Registered
Well today I have made up the x or is it the y axis. I have worked out the rotisserie element. I have simply now to make that element up and perfect the "mandrel" alignment so forming the y or x axis........ thank god mum told me to mind my p's and q's .
The real problem is the z axis (vertical) this needs to be able to freely follow a contour yet also have resistance so allowing a cutting depth control........ well it beats counting sheep to get to sleep

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Well today I have made up the x or is it the y axis. I have worked out the rotisserie element. I have simply now to make that element up and perfect the "mandrel" alignment so forming the y or x axis........ thank god mum told me to mind my p's and q's .
The real problem is the z axis (vertical) this needs to be able to freely follow a contour yet also have resistance so allowing a cutting depth control........ well it beats counting sheep to get to sleep

????????????? lol:thinks::thinks::thinks:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
That's the easy bit, its the making it work bit I am interested in what software how. I am novice on computers and no way can I get my head around CAD. Help.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
That's the easy bit, its the making it work bit I am interested in what software how. I am novice on computers and no way can I get my head around CAD. Help.

George, the easiest route to CAD is as follows:

If you're only interested in 2D, as Alex says its easier, download Inkscape for free. You'll find its just like drawing.

If 3D is your bag, download Sketchup for free. It's a LOT harder to wrap your head around.

Now that you've got the software, go to Google and search either 'Inkscape tutorial' or 'Sketchup tutorial'. Have a few days available to trawl through all of the stuff you'll find! :bwink:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
George, the easiest route to CAD is as follows:

If you're only interested in 2D, as Alex says its easier, download Inkscape for free. You'll find its just like drawing.

If 3D is your bag, download Sketchup for free. It's a LOT harder to wrap your head around.

Now that you've got the software, go to Google and search either 'Inkscape tutorial' or 'Sketchup tutorial'. Have a few days available to trawl through all of the stuff you'll find! :bwink:
Wow cheers for that information. Education from everywhere and at my age too.
What a wonderful world we live in.
I have something very simple in mind not thinking about 3d printing or cnc machines as I am restricted for space very much so.
Theory being if it will scratch a name in a lollystick it will do same on a pen.
Pocket laser engraver.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).