• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Just Plying my trade

trapper

Registered
Jim kindly donated some streamline kits for use in various tutorial projects I'm working on.

Today I started a tidy up as my little workshop is rather cluttered to say the very least. Anyhow, I have been using marine ply in a lot of projects lately and have a load of scraps . So I laminated two strips of 9mm ply and made up an 18mm blank which then I processed in the usual way . The final pen was finished with ca and Hut Acrylic polish. a cheap and easy way to create a segmented pen..... sadly I do not know what the woods are save that its sold a Birch Ply marine grade.

Attachments

• DSCF0028.JPG
    DSCF0028.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF0029.JPG
    DSCF0029.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF0030.JPG
    DSCF0030.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 28

trapper

Registered
Yep anything bigger and the message comes up files are too big dont understand why. It saying maximum file size is 97 kb these are 96? I'll do them in pdf format and see what happens then

trapper

Registered
okay redone the pics as a pdf cant wait for the new camera to arrive!!!!!!

Attachments

• ste1.jpg
    ste1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 22
  • ste2.jpg
    ste2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 22
  • ste3.jpg
    ste3.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 21

Jim

Grand Master
This is a surprise to be honest, i would have thought that plywood with have tear outs .. Certainly different Steve ... :bwink:

trapper

Registered
I used sorby modular chisels with hyper sharpened edges. rouging out done with a parting tool sanded smooth, then turned to shape with a micro spindle master blade........ excellent tools well worth the investment:thumbs:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Jim marine ply is more dense than normal ply you don't get any voids in it or you shouldn't.

trapper

Registered
David, Pure luck this one I had vision of bits in the dust but it turned easily, surprisingly so to be honest next segmented, a real one this time will be purple heart and white oak made up the blanks just taking a courage pill to start slicing it!!!

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I would never have thought to use this wood for a pen. It looks good trapper.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
David, Pure luck this one I had vision of bits in the dust but it turned easily, surprisingly so to be honest next segmented, a real one this time will be purple heart and white oak made up the blanks just taking a courage pill to start slicing it!!!

Can't wait, Steve! Sounds stunning ...

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).