• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Galloping Scalloping ...

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
This is 'the' pen that took me three attempts as the blank kept blowing out. Thanks to Walter and DeWalt Extreme 2 drillbits, she's now ready for your viewing pleasure!

Pens 130502 003.jpg

Pens 130502 004.jpg

The original blank was the end result of this thread, and is composed of two 5mm cherry slices sandwiching an 8mm piece of unknown wood. The scalloping is done with birch ply, which creates a marmite-like effect. I probably won't do it again ... I'll post a step-by-step of the scalloping as soon as I've done it.

Jim

Grand Master
That is a smart looking pen David, your perseverance has paid off with a great result ... :thumbs: Please do that tutorial, i just may take this challenge on ... :bwink:

trapper

Registered
Yep the marmite is caused by end grain taking the heat of the opposing laminates in the play set up sometimes ican sand out but not often very cleanly but this is a nice pen:thumbs: :thumbs

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Yep the marmite is caused by end grain taking the heat of the opposing laminates in the play set up sometimes ican sand out but not often very cleanly but this is a nice pen:thumbs: :thumbs

I just meant that, like Marmite, you either love the look or you hate it! Sorry Steve ... :goesred:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
That a cracker jimjam, i can see a lot of effort has gone into that pen. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).