• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hello

burnsy

Apprentice Member
First Name
Carl
Hello, new to pen turning though I have been turning for some time but mostly on pole lathes, having given in to my addiction to old cast iron and bought myself the most ridiculously large lathe I could find, I have now converted to the dark side (at least that's what my pole lathe friends tell me) !!

What else would you do with it but turn pens I thought.....

Burnsy

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Hi Burnsy, welcome to the 21st Century :funny:

We have people on this site who are old enough to help you in your transition to modernisation as they've done it themselves and one or two helped on the original drawings for the wheel.

How about showing use some stone carvings of your work you've done bodging? :thumbs:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Welcome to the Forum. You're only problem now is that if you are anything like me you will end up spending more time trawling the forum than spinning on your lathe.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Wotchya Burnsy, I spose it was only a matter of time till the poles got in here too.
Just don't fish our puddle dry will you?
Keep an eye on on this one lads, he'll steal all your money and send it home to his mum init?

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
A up Burnsy. Always wanted to build a pole lathe, its still on the list. Just a veeeeeerrrry long list:funny:
Welcome to Bedlam. The residents are largely harmless.
Would be interested to see some of the things you've turned if you have some pics. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Burnsy I have tried Pole Lathing its not for me nonetheless it was interesting, I liken it to me eating Chinese food I ask them to bring cutlery so I can enjoy the food .

All the best from over here still minus 5 Celcius tomorrow.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Hi and welcome to the mad house Burnsy. Ignore the rude remarks about pole lathes. I am just about to build one for use in my other hobby of re-enactment :thumbs:

burnsy

Apprentice Member
First Name
Carl
Lathe make and model

Hello Burnsy mate, come in and enjoy yourself. What sort of lathe have you bought?

keith

Well, I went out to get a graduate and I came back with a Wadkin RU.....it was the same price and ....... well he showed me this big lump of cast iron and I was helpless especially when he said it might end up scrapped as nobody wanted it.

Burnsy

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Well, I went out to get a graduate and I came back with a Wadkin RU.....it was the same price and ....... well he showed me this big lump of cast iron and I was helpless especially when he said it might end up scrapped as nobody wanted it.

Burnsy

Wow, a beast. Is it 3 phase?

burnsy

Apprentice Member
First Name
Carl
Wow, a beast. Is it 3 phase?

It was, took off the original motor and stored it. I put on a new three phase motor and a shiny new Hitachi digital inverter so I now have full speed control and the gearbox to play with. It runs off a normal(ish) mains socket. I don't seem to be able to upload pics yet.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
It was, took off the original motor and stored it. I put on a new three phase motor and a shiny new Hitachi digital inverter so I now have full speed control and the gearbox to play with. It runs off a normal(ish) mains socket. I don't seem to be able to upload pics yet.

Thats awesome Burnsy

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Wow, excellent stuff. I think you have to have posted a few posts before you can put pictures up

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).