• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hi everyone

CLA001

Apprentice Member
First Name
Clive
Hi everyone - just came across this forum and it really great to find such a resource based in the UK.

I'm an enthusiastic if not particularly gifted woodturner of a couple of years and started making pens as my first project. Now I really want to get to grips with making my own blanks. I have read a lot but I am struggling a bit with making my blanks.

I have built my own vacuum chamber from an old fridge compressor and saucepan etc. and had limited success. After much reading I think maybe I should just go all out an invest in a proper pressure vessel which I can run of my compressor.
I'm also looking for hints and tips on making my own moulds and where to buy all the sticky stuff from, and I sure that this forum will help.
I'm based in Northants and although chained to a desk most days, im never happier than when I escape to my shed.....
Regards
Clive

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Welcome Clive,

There are a yew on here that do there own casting with and without vacuume pots so you should get the help you need.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work..:thumbs:

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
Welcome, pull up a chair and peruse a while, I don't know anything about your specific query, but I am sure someone will be along soon to help:thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Hi everyone - just came across this forum and it really great to find such a resource based in the UK.

I'm an enthusiastic if not particularly gifted woodturner of a couple of years and started making pens as my first project. Now I really want to get to grips with making my own blanks. I have read a lot but I am struggling a bit with making my blanks.

I have built my own vacuum chamber from an old fridge compressor and saucepan etc. and had limited success. After much reading I think maybe I should just go all out an invest in a proper pressure vessel which I can run of my compressor.
I'm also looking for hints and tips on making my own moulds and where to buy all the sticky stuff from, and I sure that this forum will help.
I'm based in Northants and although chained to a desk most days, im never happier than when I escape to my shed.....
Regards
Clive

Hi Clive welcome to the forum.

here are some places to buy your resin and pigments from

Casting Plaster, Plaster-of-Paris, Moulding in Modroc, Alginate, Latex, Silicone, Craft Materials & Kits, Water- & Weather-Resistant Plasters, ...
Fibreglass, Glass Fibre, Gelcoat, GRP, Polyester Epoxy Resin - CFS Fibreglass Supplies
Buy fiberglass and composites supplies online UK - East Coast Fibreglass Supplies
Resins, Gel Coats, Silicones and Adhesives - Easy Composites

You can get silicon from all 3 for making moulds. I buy Vinamold from Maragon for making moulds it is re-useable by heating it up if you make a hash of the mould or are finished using it.

Regards
Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Hi Clive welcome to the forum. I haven't delved into the plastics side yet... there are plenty on the site who have but most are currently taking their morning medicine at the moment... but should be with you soon.
:funny::funny:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Welcome Clive, I think you will be happy with the advise you will get from everyone except me, so I won't say anything just yet init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Clive and welcome I'm sure you will get all the help you need there are a few on here who make some excellent blanks but just a quick warning please guard your sanity with your there are a few well quite a few right royal nutters and plonkers on this here forum who are looking to afflict others the nutter's just cant help themselves there mad as haters but the plonkers well they even have a chairman and always on the lookout for new members

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Welcome Clive, quite a few here interested in casting, and making moulds,blanks etc.
I agree with buckeye about resources, so if you just wait awhile until we've had our medicine ....:wink:

take care
Don W

CLA001

Apprentice Member
First Name
Clive
Wow! - Thanks for such a warm welcome most unexpected and appreciated.
I look forward to learning with such an esteemed bunch of err... gentlemen *grins*.
Regards
Clive

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Hello Clive, welcome to the asylum! you will get plenty of advice here, enjoy it before you end up like the rest of us!:goesred:

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome Clive, you may be better asking your question in the Casting forum, not everyone will see your question in this forum .. I have quite a number of blanks that i have put by hoping to stabilize them when i get around to getting myself a vacuum chamber etc .. Regarding blanks i have a pressure pot that i use but to be honest i have the same results when i don't use it .. :bwink:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Welcome Clive if you don't want to go mad leave now on the other hand if you are a nutter then stay and enjoy the banter. I am sure the right people will answer your question

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).