• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

White Jr Gent

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I'm not sure what material this is, Bob (Lons) gave it to me at Neils Auction but its nice to turn and holds a good finish. Thanks Bob, its a pity we didn't have more time to talk.

Attachments

• wedding.jpg
    wedding.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 50

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
It certainly looks the same as the Misral that was being auctioned on Saturday :thumbs:
Interesting to read in Brians link that it is a biodegradable plastic :thinks: How long before the material degrades naturally? :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
Looks very nice to me Paul, never turned Mistral before, is it very similar to Corian .. :thinks:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
It certainly looks the same as the Misral that was being auctioned on Saturday :thumbs:
Interesting to read in Brians link that it is a biodegradable plastic :thinks: How long before the material degrades naturally? :thinks:

It'll see all of us out before it rots away mate.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks All, it is the same stuff that was in the auction so yup I guess its Mistral. It turns very easily and probably a bit easier than Corian Jim.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Sorry Grump, wrong Mistral and yes it is the same as that in the auction packs.
the colour you turned is actually an offcut from our kitchen and utility worktops Paul (Vanilla sky) as I've fitted a number of these now. Made an oak table with matching top as well for the breakfast room Unfortunately only in 3 colours as no-one has chosen the darker colours. Even my son chose the same one for his kitchen
It's very similar to corian just 25mm thick worktops and 12mm thick splashbacks. It is a little harder though and definitely not bio-degradable:funny:

heres the manufacturer link. It's bloody expensive stuff Mistral | Karonia Solid Work Surfaces for Kitchens, Bathrooms, Educational and Retail Worktops

I drink rather a lot of tea and coffee as you can see:whistling:

Attachments

• kitchen 1.jpg
    kitchen 1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 24
  • kitchen 2.jpg
    kitchen 2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 23
  • utility.jpg
    utility.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 23
  • table.jpg
    table.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 23

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks Bob, that is one helluva kitchen and Utility room you've got there and a lovely table. I won't be showing this to the CMM. :funny:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
he can put us wise if I am wrong.
And he did init?
Without getting too involved and causing great debate, This has to be a company name rather than a product name.
I am not going into reasons why, let's leave it at that.
I did have my doubts when looking up the product, smashing kitchens and stuff till it gets scuffed to pieces.

I am not sure if it ever became law but when I was involved in the plastics industry there was some legislation put forward that all plastic products were to be biodegradable by no more than 150 years.
Save the planet mob and all that,
But we don't care in our hobby do we? All the fumes we chuck to the heavens and the crap we put in landfill.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).