• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New Guy

Harry

First Name
Harry
Hi all,

I'm brand new to pen turning and I have never done any wood turning, my interest having been in metalwork. My interest in pens came from an online article combining brass with acrylic and I was amazed how easy acrylic was to machine and polish on my metal lathe. I then went on to make a couple of coffee tampers with an acrylic handle and a stainless steel base. The amazing patterns in the various acrylics was mesmerizing and led to my interest in pen turning, the notion of being able to sell some pens to finance the hobby is appealing. So far I have made five pens in various styles, including a purple heart slimline with a CA finish (that took a bit of learning!). I only have the metal lathe, which is nowhere near as fast as a wood turning lathe, so I have to take my time, but I'm happy with what I have done so far.

I am retired(yes, another old fogey), so I don't have unlimited funds to buy materials and equipment. Hopefully, I can sell a few pens to fund a gradual expansion. I hope you all will make allowances for my lack of experience and I am looking forward to learning, with your help, how to improve.

Cheers,
Harry

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Welcome Harry. I only started turning in March and making pens and been selling quite a few mostly at my wifes work and to friends. I too like acrylics and I bought a load of them from Axminster recently and they are fab. Vince at The Turners Workshop sells some fab acrylics too. Good luck and look forward to seeing your work.:thumbs:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Welcome to the forum Harry! Don't worry about experience, as long as you can sound like you know what you're doing thats fine. It's stood me in good stead for years:whistling:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome Harry, all the inmates are having their medicine at the moment but they should be along soon. One thing... SHOW US PICTURES. :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Harry, experienced or not, you will be made very welcome here my friend ... :thumbs:

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Hello Harry, welcome to the Asylum,I don't really why i belong in this place really as i am quite sane, Well sane as any other bloody Pink Dog! enjoy it while you can mate....:thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Hello and welcome. Honestly they are not inmates just residence escaped from the local oldies home:banana::banana::banana:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Harry you poor ol sod getting hooked on this hobby and then to join in with this mad bunch most of the time they talk a load of rubbish especially when it comes to turning they aint got a clue but welcome mate and happy turning

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
Welcome Harry I too only started turning in April and am loving my new hobby although I do have to hide from the bank manager now as you always need something else, so hide your credit card :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Harry dont undersell yourself you have a lot to contribute it seems with metal lathe work where most of us are rank amateurs.

Welcome mate where the sun is getting ready to come out with the impending spring.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).