• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Carbon Streamline

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Well after a thread last week on Carbon ribbon or whatever its called that little light bulb lit up yet again. So here are the results, probably the most difficult pen I've made to date and I don't think I'll be making another.

First I made a pen from a piece of gash wood that was smaller than normal. I then glued the ribbon to the pen and coated that in ca.. which coated in ca... repeat one and 2 several times. I then sanded, filled the gaps with ca, sanded, filled the gaps with ca... repeat 3 and 4 several times. Then wet and dry and finally polish... Put back on the mandrel and sand down the sharp edges, wet and dry and polish.

Ta da!

Attachments

• carbon.jpg
    carbon.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 50

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Morning Paul there are two ways to conclude the centre band on a pen you chose to go between the tops of the rings and the lower, tossing this around in my minds eye I rather like it with the chrome band, you also over cut at the nib a choice I encourage with the need for strength right there this is the most stressed section of a pen IMHO. The minor rounding at the junctions looking great for me arriving at a simple black number, personally I try to photograph all pens nib extended it adds to the design and also because any matching of grain etc for me takes place when the nib is out old habit maybe but when showing a pen like this I always prepare the pen for use saves the finger wreckers from excessive twisting on fountain pens I have had to contend with or pullers who try to pull screwed tops off by pulling in ignorance. Altogether a neat pen ready to go and worth the effort, my two bobs worth mate. The count down to spring and I hope the easing of full on demands on our time should allow me to blow the dust off the tools may allow turning in the near future I trust. Have fun.

Kind regards Peter.:claps:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks Peter, I've always lined up with the nib in but I see what you mean and will think about it for the future for sure. thanks for the comments.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Well after a thread last week on Carbon ribbon or whatever its called that little light bulb lit up yet again. So here are the results, probably the most difficult pen I've made to date and I don't think I'll be making another.

First I made a pen from a piece of gash wood that was smaller than normal. I then glued the ribbon to the pen and coated that in ca.. which coated in ca... repeat one and 2 several times. I then sanded, filled the gaps with ca, sanded, filled the gaps with ca... repeat 3 and 4 several times. Then wet and dry and finally polish... Put back on the mandrel and sand down the sharp edges, wet and dry and polish.

Ta da!

That's how I did it for the set I made for the May Comp, I didn't have any resin so I built up the CA. I just put the carbon fibre on the tubes and it took what seemed like a lifetime to build up. When it came to the letter opener I used undersized wood on the tube then the carbon sleeve, a lot less build up needed.

You wouldn't know it from one cast in acrylic the end result is great.

Peter

TK woodman

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
That's a great pen - Making pens in this way takes time and effort but is far out weighed by the sense of achievement when it's finished - To me it's a perfect pen, well made and finished - Well done Paul.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I agree with Steven - beautiful, but I won't be trying that anytime soon! :winking:

Dear Lord, did I just say I agree with Steven? Nurse! NURSE! My tablets - quick!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).