• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Barrel Trimmer

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
has anyone found a quality trimmer that doesn't need sharpening if u look at it too long?

Steve

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I have 2 different types, one with 6 cutters and one with 4. The 4 goes to a point at the end and is easy to insert while the drill is running but needs sharpening often and the 6 has a square end but clears the tube of any glue etc better. The 6 does seem to last a bit longer between sharpening but clogs up quickly when being used and takes longer to sharpen. My tendancy is to use the 4.

If you find one that doesn't need to be sharpened so often I'd be interested but what I have learned to do is cut the blank closer to the tube so less squaring off is needed

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have never sharpened mine. I work on two theories with this procedure.
One has been covered by Paul by not trimming too much, the other, metal being stronger than wood push a bit harder.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
has anyone found a quality trimmer that doesn't need sharpening if u look at it too long?

Steve

Yep, a disk sander with a jig like this. This is the PSI one but easy enough to make one with an old mandrel:

PKSQUARE.jpg

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Terry made a jig with a chuck and transfer punches, brilliant, can't go wrong, idiot proof.
Look in the tips and jigs section to find it?

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
I've been wondering the same thing. I have the 6 cutter type and after 6 months it's not great. I have tried putting the edge back on the cutters with a diamond file but it doesn't last. It still trims plastics fine but wood it's not cutting cleanly. It would be good if there was a replacement trimmer without the tube cleaning bits?
Dan, how much is your trimming set and can you get just the trimmer?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Ray, when you sharpen it do you sharpen just on the long flat part or the short cutting surface? I believe the right way is on the long back side of the trimmer. I do it this way with just a little swipe of the cutting surface

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I to use the disk sander I find trimmers a real pain in the proverbial

I agree, I have a 4 and 6 cutter, they will never be used by me again. The sander is the way to go.

Peter

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
now the expense of a sander comes into it:nonono:
I gotta stop spending
do i dare ask how much a sander is?
my trimmer is wasting more blanks and time I care to think about
Steve

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Ray, when you sharpen it do you sharpen just on the long flat part or the short cutting surface? I believe the right way is on the long back side of the trimmer. I do it this way with just a little swipe of the cutting surface
When I've sharpened the trimmer I've used a diamond file on the part of each blade you can see when you look down at the six cutters if that makes sense?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I gotta stop spending
Steve

How is it wasting blanks Steve? I guess you might be doing something wrong!

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You don't need the expense of a sander, turn a disc attach to a faceplate stick some scratch on it, you have a sander init?
I would strongly suggest you look at the tips and jigs section for lots of great ideas.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
I gotta stop spending
Steve
Machine mart do one for about £110 , if you're going to any even where charnwood will be exhibiting they usually do about 15% off and their sander is £169 before discount. I'm planning on getting one as they are useful for other things like smoothing off faces to glued together.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
You don't need the expense of a sander, turn a disc attach to a faceplate stick some scratch on it, you have a sander init?
I would strongly suggest you look at the tips and jigs section for lots of great ideas.

Got to agree with Brian! eh? did I say that? of course make one for the lathe :rolling:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

When Woody said sander I assumed he was talking about a faceplate with abrasive on, that's what I use with transfer punches in the jacobs chuck for the tubes to slide on.

Peter

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I guess you might be doing something wrong!

Not necessarily. I found trimmers would split anything brittle or course grained or in any way prone to splitting even when sharp. That's why I gave up on them and went over to using a disk sander and jig. Trimmers are by their very design trying to rip the blank away from tube by the cutting action.

Just my opinion, but the best place for them is in the scrap metal recycling bin.

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
i like to leave a bit of room on the blank incase it is not square at end
i have sharpened on flats but the trimmer is chewing a bit on the blank
and sometimes decides to burr over the tube if i go that bit too far..noobie error
it just wont take a sharpen
p.s. i am using a diamond plate & and can sharpen a chisel u could shave with

Steve

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).