• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ideas for Blank inlays?

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
You may have seem Jim's post of the pen he turned from one of my blanks. The process of making the blanks was pictured in this thread.

Well, I have hit a blank (:rolling:) as far as ideas for other inlay designs, so here's what I'm thinking: give me ideas for what you'd like to see, perhaps even attaching a jpeg or something like that. If I use your idea you'll get one of the first batch of blanks with your inlay gratis.

Thanks for helping me break this writer's block!

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Deer,shotgun,rifle,football, moon&stars,dolphins,carp.golf club hope this helps relax your tension and gets your thoughts going.Frankie:thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
Could you do tools David, like spanners, movers, screw drivers etc .. It maybe what the women may buy for the men in their lives ??? :whistling:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I was thinking about doing some pens for charity and I like the idea of doing some with awareness ribbons on them.

Is that possible ?

I saw some in the states but thinking through costings, I'm not sure if works getting them from there.

Like this The Cancer Awareness Project

Just a thought

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I was thinking about doing some pens for charity and I like the idea of doing some with awareness ribbons on them.

Is that possible ?

I saw some in the states but thinking through costings, I'm not sure if works getting them from there.

Like this The Cancer Awareness Project

Just a thought
Think carefully about dong these willy nilly, Charities require you to be a registered whatever with them, they are a closed shop, if you are are not a registered whatever you will be nicked.
With the best intents and purposes you can end up in heaps of trouble my friend.
If the said charity wants to commission you to make them they will approach you or put the job out for tender and you can submit your quote.
These ribbons and logos are copyright to them and believe me they will pursue and protect them.
I raise funds for Help for Heroes but I never accept any money I always ensure there is a registered agent on the premises when doing so.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Think carefully about dong these willy nilly, Charities require you to be a registered whatever with them, they are a closed shop, if you are are not a registered whatever you will be nicked.
With the best intents and purposes you can end up in heaps of trouble my friend.
If the said charity wants to commission you to make them they will approach you or put the job out for tender and you can submit your quote.
These ribbons and logos are copyright to them and believe me they will pursue and protect them.
I raise funds for Help for Heroes but I never accept any money I always ensure there is a registered agent on the premises when doing so.

Useful knowledge and I thank you for it.

Now the rant. That is just nucking futs, I was thinking of selling a few at work and amongst friends (it was one of the girls at work that suggested it) and basically donate the full takings ( not taking my costs out ) to Breast Cancer.

I can see why they end up not getting money if that's the attitude.

I guess that might make people who are able think twice about doing the laser bit for me then ?

MADNESS !

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Useful knowledge and I thank you for it.

Now the rant. That is just nucking futs, I was thinking of selling a few at work and amongst friends (it was one of the girls at work that suggested it) and basically donate the full takings ( not taking my costs out ) to Breast Cancer.

I can see why they end up not getting money if that's the attitude.

I guess that might make people who are able think twice about doing the laser bit for me then ?

MADNESS !

Sorry to put a damper on what is an excellent idea, and all is not lost. Simply register as a collector for your chosen charity and you can raise funds for them when they give you permission to use their logos etc.
There is a dot gov charities act somewhere online but I don't have time allocated on this computer to look for it.

Jim

Grand Master
Phill, before giving up on this project it may well be worth taking advice on this, i have sold many a pen for charities, and made many for them also, i am not going against the info that George has given which is very sensible, i just don't want anyone to not benefit from your generosity ... :bwink:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Phill, before giving up on this project it may well be worth taking advice on this, i have sold many a pen for charities, and made many for them also, i am not going against the info that George has given which is very sensible, i just don't want anyone to not benefit from your generosity ... :bwink:

I thought and hoped it was only The Yanks that misread my words or misunderstand what I say. (notice how good I have been on that thread. I was not condemning firearms but the use of the \English language).
Nip this one in the bud Jim I am not for one second suggesting that Phil cannot raise money for charity by making ad selling pens or by any other means.
Go Bungy jumping for all I care, am simply saying be careful what one does with logos and copyrighted material, obtain the correct permissions before getting in trouble.
When it comes to collecting funds for a registered charity it is a nebulous subject just be aware of what you are getting involved in before customs and excise knock on your door.
Once again we are voicing things on an open forum that are better off not discussed until we have the correct information to act on.
As Phil quite rightly says a legit company could be sued for making these blanks for him if they don't check his credentials and rights to have them made.

Jim

Grand Master
I thought and hoped it was only The Yanks that misread my words or misunderstand what I say. (notice how good I have been on that thread. I was not condemning firearms but the use of the \English language).

I fully understood what what said and why, i also stick by what i said, "Take advice before giving up" ....

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Right.

Checked with my charity of choice and the rules are fairly simple actually (it may well be different depending on the organisation)

If you are donating 100% of the proceeds then you're pretty much free to do whatever you like.

If you are donating a portion of the proceeds eg. covering your costs, then different rules apply. Apparently this is done to stop companies / individuals "profiting" which I guess makes sense.

They were very helpful and even said if I needed a letter authorising me to use the logo then they would supply that quite happily which I thought was great.

So while I'm on hols for the next 2 weeks I'll have a think about this and how I can proceed.

Thanks to George for the heads up, it was definitely the right thing to do to point me at the charity to get the official stance etc.

To the point when I explained the "offer" they said will supply pin badges for me to give with the pens !

So all's good, looks like I can proceed and try and give something back for the superb support Mandy (SWMBO) and I received.

Onwards and Upwards ! :thumbs:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Excellent result Phil. I am very pleased for you. It never hurts to check and get the proper authorization.
You say they will give you a letter, that would be a good thing to keep with some records of funds raised and expenses paid.
Because the next thing to consider depending on how many you make is the VAT man.
The moment a logo is added to your pen it becomes a production item and liable to VAT by the owner of the logo.
HM Revenue & Customs: Some particular activities
HM Revenue & Customs: Sponsoring a charity
Nay not be applicable but once again worth checking.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I'm ok on this one as it won't be the exact logo, luckily the ribbon idea isn't trademarked as it is a stylised representation of the actual logo.

But good advice again !

Plus this is me as an individual not a company.

Goes to show what a minefield a simple act of generosity could become.

Sad in a way, but I guess there's always someone who exploits things for their own gain which buggers it up for the majority.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).