• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Casting: where am I going wrong?

Robert

First Name
Rob
So I bought some resin stuff (this one, the 1kg tin) and have been making blanks, mixing with coloured mica powders ordered off ebay, but apart from the one success all the other 10 or so blanks I've made have failed. They keep breaking when I turn them.

I've tried varying the catalyst quantity, but it seems the more I add, the softer the blank is, compared to the first few which were too brittle. Temperature wise, they've all been made over the last couple of months, so it cant be because it's too cold. I generally leave them a good 12 or more hours in the tube to set, and over 24 hours before I drill and work on them.

I love making them, but frankly it's proving a waste of time and I'm close to throwing the towel in, which I don't really want to do.

Any suggestions?

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
I'm guessing it would be something to do with the mixture, but hjaving never done any casting I couldn't say for definite.
Brody, Rowdy and Buckeye seem to know about casting. Hopefully one of them will know the answer.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The normal mix of MEPK is 1-3% I use 1%. The more you add the quicker it will set and the more brittle it will be. If you are getting softer resin by adding more MEPK I can't help you. It probably would have been better to buy a casting resin rather than a general purpose resin like this but a water clear resin is probably better and easier to use even if you mix in colours.

Peter

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Im far from an expert but, from my limited experience Rob, I agree with Peter. Water clear casting resin is the best I've used. Be sure to mix the hardener before adding any pigment as this can affect how well the catalyst mixes with the resin, especially if you are using dry mica powder.
I use this
Water Clear Casting Resin - East Coast Fibreglass Supplies
and have had good consistent results in and out of the pressure pot.

hope that's of some use mate:thumbs:

smoker

First Name
Steve
So I bought some resin stuff (this one, the 1kg tin) and have been making blanks, mixing with coloured mica powders ordered off ebay, but apart from the one success all the other 10 or so blanks I've made have failed. They keep breaking when I turn them.

I've tried varying the catalyst quantity, but it seems the more I add, the softer the blank is, compared to the first few which were too brittle. Temperature wise, they've all been made over the last couple of months, so it cant be because it's too cold. I generally leave them a good 12 or more hours in the tube to set, and over 24 hours before I drill and work on them.

I love making them, but frankly it's proving a waste of time and I'm close to throwing the towel in, which I don't really want to do.

Any suggestions?

East Coast Fiberglass recommend you leave the casting 5-7 days

Steve

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I would love to have a go at this but its the pong factor that puts me off from what I have read the water clear resin seems the most popular method

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I would love to have a go at this but its the pong factor that puts me off from what I have read the water clear resin seems the most popular method

You could use polyurethane resin, that doesn't have any noticeable smell and I have used it in the house, but it has a much shorter working time.

Peter

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Although casting looks a very interesting subject I don't think that it is something I would get involved in. I am not very adventurous.
I will just stick with buying the occasional plastic blank now and then.

:thinks:Vic:thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).