• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ally swarf in clear resin

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
This is the pen blank that Peter (Buckeye) sent me aluminium swarf set in clear resin he also supplied instructions on the best way to do it so as per Peters instructions drill an oversized hole then pour thin CA glue down the hole and it worked the hole went from cloudy to clear wrap the tube in foil I crinkled mine up first I did have a big lump fly of one end in three bits search and find took a while but it is so easy to repair this blank is not for the faint hearted but the end result is well worth it a big thank you Peter Violet said it is amazing she loves it and there's me thinking its a man pen so I have to make her one now good fun
This is such an amazing blank I had to take photos from two different angles to show it of properly
DSCF0728.JPGDSCF0729.JPGDSCF0730.JPGDSCF0732.JPGDSCF0733.JPGDSCF0734.JPG

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I am so glad it worked for you, when I read earlier that you had had to do repairs, I was worried. You are right they are not for the faint hearted. I thought it would only appeal men, but as you know, what men know about women could be written on a postage stamp. I am not sure anyone will be able to see how nice it does look in real life, they are difficult to photograph. How does the crinkled foil look in the blank, does it go well with the Ally? Are you pleased with it overall?

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I am so glad it worked for you, when I read earlier that you had had to do repairs, I was worried. You are right they are not for the faint hearted. I thought it would only appeal men, but as you know, what men know about women could be written on a postage stamp. I am not sure anyone will be able to see how nice it does look in real life, they are difficult to photograph. How does the crinkled foil look in the blank, does it go well with the Ally? Are you pleased with it overall?

Peter
I am over the moon with it Peter you have excelled yourself with this blank mate and I think the foil looks better crinkled rather than smooth and yes your right a photo will never do this blank justice thats why I ended up taking 6 photos to try and capture how amazing it looks also I found turning it with the skew worked best for me

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
OH WOW! That is one of the nicest blanks I've seen. When Neil offered the swarf on Saturday I was very tempted but without the ability to cast I declined thinking that it would be too much for superglue. Absolutely bloody fantastic blank and well, the turning is as expectedly superb too.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I am over the moon with it Peter you have excelled yourself with this blank mate and I think the foil looks better crinkled rather than smooth and yes your right a photo will never do this blank justice thats why I ended up taking 6 photos to try and capture how amazing it looks also I found turning it with the skew worked best for me

I'm pleased you like it and I am sure the crinkled foil would look good having lots of small facets. I'm sorry if I didn't say to use a skew, that's what I used although I tried a carbide tipped tool as well and that was okay, but the skew was best as you have found out.

I know I told you that I would be making any more of them, but I might make a few more sometime. I started casting another brass swarf blank, but ran out of resin when it was about 3/4 full and I forgot to finish it before it cured so if I top it up now it's unlikely the resin will stick to the existing blank. There should be more than enough to make a sierra. If you want to give it a go I will send it to you if you want it, but beware that it a bit trickier than the ally as brass is quite a bit harder, but again with the skew I didn't have a problem with the brass ones other than taking it slow and using CA when needed.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
OH WOW! That is one of the nicest blanks I've seen. When Neil offered the swarf on Saturday I was very tempted but without the ability to cast I declined thinking that it would be too much for superglue. Absolutely bloody fantastic blank and well, the turning is as expectedly superb too.

You really wouldn't want to do this with CA, it would rip your fingers apart, mind you a bit of blood would add colour...mmmm....no, no I am not going to try that.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I'm pleased you like it and I am sure the crinkled foil would look good having lots of small facets. I'm sorry if I didn't say to use a skew, that's what I used although I tried a carbide tipped tool as well and that was okay, but the skew was best as you have found out.

I know I told you that I would be making any more of them, but I might make a few more sometime. I started casting another brass swarf blank, but ran out of resin when it was about 3/4 full and I forgot to finish it before it cured so if I top it up now it's unlikely the resin will stick to the existing blank. There should be more than enough to make a sierra. If you want to give it a go I will send it to you if you want it, but beware that it a bit trickier than the ally as brass is quite a bit harder, but again with the skew I didn't have a problem with the brass ones other than taking it slow and using CA when needed.

Peter

I would love to give it a go Peter yes please mate

Jim

Grand Master
First he gave us the Pine Cones, now he gives us this beauty .. Great looking pen Woody, a big kudos to both of you two gentlemen .. :thumbs:

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
i recently..well last year
stripped the foil inserts out of a load of conservatory roof panels
you know when u think..one day
i just not worked out how yet
they are about 20mm across and 2m long

i will post some if someone can work out how

i think they may be interesting

Steve

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).