• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Roughing Gouge

Jim

Grand Master
I have a 3/4" roughing gouge that looks similar to a finger nail, this happened when i used to sharpen my tools on a grinder. The funny thing is i don't want it back to its original angle, as i was telling Terry the other day i like how i can take a good cut without tear out on small blanks using the wings, and still got over 50% of the 45° angel for my roughing. Do you have any tool similar? :nooidea:

trapper

Registered
You Know the old style floor board nails I sharpen them up as parting tools seems to work even on aluminium and gives a narrow parting cut also use it as a facing tool.

Jim

Grand Master
I can't picture them? Mind you they wouldn't have been much good for Lino ... :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
This is the said Gouge ...

Attachments

• IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 30

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I have a 3/4" roughing gouge that looks similar to a finger nail, this happened when i used to sharpen my tools on a grinder. The funny thing is i don't want it back to its original angle, as i was telling Terry the other day i like how i can take a good cut without tear out on small blanks using the wings, and still got over 50% of the 45° angel for my roughing. Do you have any tool similar? :nooidea:

I was in Turners Retreat today and Sorby actually make roughing gouges with the same fingernail profile!!!!

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks Mark, i now use and have for over three years a sorby proedge ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).