• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Questions on mould and castings

Edward Po

Hello guys:

I want to try PR casting, but before I start to invests time and money in the process, I would like to asked for advices from experience casters in this forum

1. I want to use one of the following materials to make into plugs to plugged the end of the brass tubes,
Will Pr resin stick to any of thesr materials
- Nylon
- Delrin
- Telfon

2. If the object I am casting is rubber vinyl based materials (Nail art foil), will PR damage/melt my foil during the casting process? If yes, is there some find of coating that I can used to protect the foils during the casting process?

Thank you

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Hello guys:

I want to try PR casting, but before I start to invests time and money in the process, I would like to asked for advices from experience casters in this forum

1. I want to use one of the following materials to make into plugs to plugged the end of the brass tubes,
Will Pr resin stick to any of thesr materials
- Nylon
- Delrin
- Telfon

2. If the object I am casting is rubber vinyl based materials (Nail art foil), will PR damage/melt my foil during the casting process? If yes, is there some find of coating that I can used to protect the foils during the casting process?

Thank you

I haven't used nylon, delrin, teflon at all with resin so I don't know, but please let us know if you find out. I use PVC tubes for upright casts and that is fine. I don't know if PVC exists in rod form. Another way you could try is to make your plugs and use latex gloves, cut the fingers off and put them on your plugs, I sometimes use that method for the bottom of my tubes or a plastic bag cut up and wrapped around the bottom of the tube. Have a look at Timberbits they sell resinsaver moulds, see if they have one for the pens you prefer to make.

I have used the nailart plastics/vinyl and some dissolve some don't, I have no way of telling if they will, before I try one, so I usually just have some resin to drop things in and see if they dissolve/distort or not. A really good coating is CA glue, but even that can react with certain things, the other coating I use for things that dissolve in resin is PVA glue, just paint it on with a brush, but don't get a really thick coat of it. If you use a thin coat it will dry completely clear and you are better off using several very thin coats making sure it has dried 100% between coats or layers, if it is milky when it is dry then it is too thick and hasn't dried properly.

Peter

Edward Po

Hi Edward if your not in a hurry I will dig out all the information that I have down loaded and send to you.

Thank you for your help, I am in no hurry, I just want avoid unnecessary mistake by learning from you guys. Of course, I also hope to contribute too.:winking:

Edward Po

Hi Peter:

Thanks for the feedback, I have all the materials as mentioned in my opening post. I will try out and let everyone know the result as I proceed. Meanwhile, to play safe I will try PVC material to form the plug.

Also, I did not consider buying any silicon mould, the reason being that I do not know I will like casting or not., Unless I am able to buy PR casting set on online, it is very expensive to purchased PR casting set in my country.

Currently, I have made aset of mould out of cutting board, hopefully this works for me

Regards

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter:

Thanks for the feedback, I have all the materials as mentioned in my opening post. I will try out and let everyone know the result as I proceed. Meanwhile, to play safe I will try PVC material to form the plug.

Also, I did not consider buying any silicon mould, the reason being that I do not know I will like casting or not., Unless I am able to buy PR casting set on online, it is very expensive to purchased PR casting set in my country.

Currently, I have made aset of mould out of cutting board, hopefully this works for me

Regards

I look forward to seeing your results, I hope you manage to find resin at a good price.

Peter

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Derlin will be fine I say nylon also Ive never heard
of telfon did you mean
Teflon if so I used teflon sheet as a barrier
on hot plates when welding upvc
Stops the melted pvc sticking so ld say yes to that also.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).