• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First attempt at Segmented

retreatjohn

wood stuffff 006.jpg
I'm still in Florida so not able to turn but found this pic on my phone of a Clock, my first attempt at segmented work. The quality of the pic not very good (note to self, must do better) but I hope it comes out ok.

Attachments

• wood stuffff 004.jpg
    wood stuffff 004.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 41

Jim

Grand Master
Looks good John, you seem to have all the spaces nice and equal. Well done. :thumbs: What wood did you use? :thinks:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Thats good for a first attemptmate, you need to share withus how it was done. :devil:

retreatjohn

Tony, I'm on holiday at the moment but when I get home I will try to put some instructions together.
I made a sled for the saw to cut the segments, got design for the sled from an american woodturning magazine.

Jim

Grand Master
Tony, I'm on holiday at the moment but when I get home I will try to put some instructions together.
I made a sled for the saw to cut the segments, got design for the sled from an american woodturning magazine.

Was the sled for a table saw or bandsaw John? :thinks:

retreatjohn

Can be made for either, I made mine for a bandsaw, I think you have more control cutting small pieces. The angle needs to be pretty well spot on, then sand to clean up. I glued 6 segments and the infills, the sand the ends again on a disc sander to make a perfect fit.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy

That would be great mate, especially for the band saw. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).