• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Segmented Cocobolo and Bocote on a Slimline Pen Kit

Jim

Grand Master
The last of the left overs used today to make this pen. I will try to make this again with different woods and make sure the alignments are much better as i like the style and pattern. I have used plastic between the woods which is Cocobolo and Bocote and African Blackwood as the center band, the pen kit is a chrome slimline.

cocobolo_and_bocote_segmented_slimline.jpg

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Bloody fiddly. I tried doing a bit of cutting and segmenting, thought I might prepare some blanks for my return home.
All I have successfully done is glue a load of tiny bits to the bench and to myself.
I am under orders now if I must persist with this stupid messing around I have to wrap myself and all surroundings with clingfilm first and wear a paper boiler suit while calamatizing.
Much respect for you Jim to be able to create these works, I downloaded your tut but it doesn't help an idiot.
Can you do me an idiots guide with some means of holding the damn things while gluing.
That's a really nice pen mate again.

Jim

Grand Master
I am back at work tomorrow George but i will surely have one done for the weekend. One of the must haves when segmenting is grease paper, CA does not stick to this which helps tremendously ... :thumbs:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Very nice, Jim. George, if you can lay hands on one of those plastic cutting boards CA doesn't stick to them either. I have a box of latex gloves so I put them on both hands before starting with CA. Nitrile are £&@£, they fall apart as soon as they smell CA. If I don't use gloves I'm peeling CA off my fingers for days afterwards ...

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I use those rubber gloves, it takes me back to my youth,tho the rubber wasnt on my hands then. :thumbs: Nice looking pen Jim. :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).