• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Problems wearing a face mask

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
When turning some woods i wear a face mask which covers my nose and mouth, but when wearing one of these my glasses steam up and i then can't see the work in front of me? How do you combat this. :nooidea:

Jim

Grand Master
I think this is a problem that many turners have, it is difficult to correct, maybe it is worth trying what John does or buying one of those trend face shields which will knock you back a few hundred quid. :ciggrin:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Old motorcyclists use a potato. Chop in half and rub on the inside of the lenses. The starch apparently does something to stop misting. Then your missus can cook up some chips while you work ...

:whistling:

Jim

Grand Master
It all depends on what you turn, at the moment a Trend Airshield would be a waste of money for me, but if i got into turning bowls again then i would really consider investing in a decent face mask. :thumbs:

At the moment i have two face masks, the cheap ones that you use once and throw away and a decent £30 one that is still unopened.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Tony, I bought one last year and its good. I don't use it so much on pen sanding as that doesn't generate too much dust if you've finished with say a skew chisel. However with a random orbital sander its an absolute must

keith

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
I second the use of the Trend Airshield. Some find it uncomfortable but I have found that if you take a little time to adjust it it pays dividends. I had the same problem with face masks alone because without my specs I am hopeless. I do find the Drager half mask that Screw fix sell fits much better than the cheaper versions, it's full harness is more stable, and because the exhalation valves seem better it allows me to wear my 'specs without too much problem. I tend to use this fitted with a chemical filter if I am using something obnoxious because of course the Airshield and similar are dust filters and do not remove chemical fumes. ( CA and the like). Hope this helps.

naxie

Registered

photo-1.JPG

I have one of these and find it very good indeed. Its much easier than breathing through a normal mask, even one of the paper type ones. Until I got used to it I kept feeling it with my hands to check if it was on properly as breathing through it is effortless.

When it gets a bit dirty the misses chucks it in the washing machine and it comes out as good as new! I do get asked if I'm wearing a jock strap on my face though :rolling:.

The better half was going to order me one from the states for Christmas but decided it wouldn't get here in time so didn't bother. I ended up getting mine and another for my uncle whilst clearing out someone's workshop after they unfortunately passed away. They feel so light my uncle through them into a rubbish sack thinking they were used disposable masks, fortunately my eagle eye spotted them! :phew:

Kind regards,
Ed

Jim

Grand Master
You may just of started a trend with turners now going out and buying jock straps Ed ..:ciggrin: I looked at that link and saw that it was from the USA which was a let down as it looked the part .. :down:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).