• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lathe Indexing

Jim

Grand Master
Does anyone use indexing on the lathe, if so what have you used it for. :thinks:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I have used indexing many times in the short while I have been turning.
I have used it when I want to mark a reference point on what I am turning for various reasons.
I have used it just to lock the headstock so I can swap chucks etc.
I have used it when playing with a dremel to make lines along the pen or trying screw threads around the pen

Jim

Grand Master
I do have one Tony, but i have never used it other than what has been said about locking the headstock ... :goesred:

trapper

Registered
Jim basically you should have the index ring which simply mounts on the thread of the headstock with chuck whatever in front of it .sometimes its actually abackplate for the chuck. A magnetic threaded stud is attached to the lathe bed side wall with a rod locking to holes in the ring its great for cross drilling overhead router slides etc allows you to lock the workpiece in various positions. Sorby did have a pdf download for their item. This is far safer than clamping the headstock after all a slip against the switches and big accident NEVER use either without unplugging the lathe from the mains. Its also why im TRYING to build the rotary mill with cnc controll

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).