• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Was given this wood today

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
It was approx 800mm square and 15mm thick, a laminated panel of some sort, The guy said it was rosewood and I was very sceptical but having cut it along the joints today I've changed my mind.
The dark sections look, feel and smell a bit like cocobolo, shavings are orange and I'm convinced the lighter sections are the same timber so can only think it's sapwood perhaps. :nooidea:

It's all pretty hard and heavy and the panel had been stained on one side. Any thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 84

Jim

Grand Master
The grain looks very similar to some rosewood i have Bob, only that yours is a tad lighter in colour .. :thumbs:

Great snatch by the way .. :winking:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It wasn't part of a medieval tableau and you have ripped it apart?:funny:

Peter

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Now there's a thought:thinks:

C'mon you lot, don't you know anything:nooidea: I need to know!
What confuses me is the big difference between light and dark wood.

It looks a lot like a Rosewood.
The little "pitting" in the grain is quite indicative.
A lot of the Rosewoods have a very contrasting difference between the heartwood and sapwood.
Look at some of woody's Blackwood stuff! (Dalbergia melanoxolon) The heartwood is black, but the sapwood is very light.

Last edited:

lignaterrae

Never easy from photos but it does look like Sheeshan Rosewood (aka Sissoo Rosewood), Dalbergia sissoo, from India. Seen a lot these days in (fairly) cheap but poorish quality of furniture imported from India. The wide pale sapwood is very characteristic.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Never easy from photos but it does look like Sheeshan Rosewood (aka Sissoo Rosewood), Dalbergia sissoo, from India. Seen a lot these days in (fairly) cheap but poorish quality of furniture imported from India. The wide pale sapwood is very characteristic.

Many thanks for that, a sensible answer (what are you doing on THIS forum?:funny:). I haven't heard of that wood so will do some research.
The wood panel wouldn't be recent as I believe he's had it for a number of years.

lignaterrae

I stick my nose in anywhere I can rabbit on about wood!!
By 'these days' I'm meaning in the last 10 years or so. Quite variable in appearance but it's good timber and can be really attractive, shame some of the furniture it's made into can be so crappy, it deserves better.
Looking for some myself so if your friend has any more stuck away, point him in my direction!

Many thanks for that, a sensible answer (what are you doing on THIS forum?:funny:). I haven't heard of that wood so will do some research.
The wood panel wouldn't be recent as I believe he's had it for a number of years.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil

Spot on. Saw this post last night and was struggling to recall what exactly it was and where I had seen it. Off to trade in a shopping centre in Germany for a couple of weeks and one of the shopkeepers there trades the most awful examples of the described poor quality crap, truly awful.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).