• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mandrels

F Murtz

Registered
Just need info on mandrels to make my own.
Googling just wants to sell me one.
I think it is just a 1/4" rod with a thread on the end with a knurled nut one end, but how long and can i just clamp it in the chuck used for bowls one end and centre the other,and any other hints?

Jim

Grand Master
The rod that is used is around 8/9" long, but i wouldn't advise holding it in a chuck for turning pens?

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
The tailstock end needs dimpling, so that you can run a live centre into it and stop it from whipping. Also, a collet chuck with a 1/4" collet would be best for holding the headstock end.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
The rod that is used is around 8/9" long, but i wouldn't advise holding it in a chuck for turning pens?

The tailstock end needs dimpling, so that you can run a live centre into it and stop it from whipping. Also, a collet chuck with a 1/4" collet would be best for holding the headstock end.

A mandrel shafts is about $5.50 seem likes a lot of hassle to make one.
The dimple on one end is 60° and must be centered.
If you don't want a set collets and chuck you can buy a single Morse taper collet

Metric Morse Taper 2 MT2 Collets 7 Pcs Lathe Milling Tool Workholding C94 | eBay

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Whilst I agree that a collet chuck would be best it is possible to use a good quality Jacob's type chuck. I have done so before and found the mandrel runs quite true. I also agree that mandrel shafts are cheap enough that making your own seems pointless.

This little vid shows the unsupported end of a mandrel shaft that is mounted in a keyless Jacobs type chuck:

DSCF0049.avi - YouTube

Jim

Grand Master
That is certainly running true Walter, but is the rod out far enough to hold two blanks? :thinks:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I couldnt be arsed to mess about making one to be honest, not unless i was going into full production of selling them. :ciggrin:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Yes you can make your own mandrel heck everyone should ride their motorbike without a muffler even once. Take your brass sleeve to a decent supplier of bolts look for a machine bolt for preference having in mind two things how you will hold the mandrel and how you will house it. In my case I hold the mandrel with an adjustable collet and I house it in a brass sleeve inset into a removable centred live centre sleeve fit 3/8 of an inch. I made mine from a bolt bear in mind the thread needs in my case to be removed from the bolt to get the finished size into the sleeved receiver. Much like the mandrel saver only many many years ahead of them. I used mine for many years also pioneered half a pen at a time. using right angle cut blanks as well over here.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).