• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Alcoholic wood?

MikeD

Registered
I am turning some chestnut wood and it looks very nice. So, I decided to try a different finish, normally I use boiled linseed oil and CA. I thought I would try a finish I use on bowls which is a mixture of polyurethane varnish, boiled linseed oil and white spirits.
On a bowl this would produce a high gloss finish as the mixture is very similar to Danish oil. On this chestnut pen blank the wood just seems to drink it in and not shine. I have applied six layers of finish, the chestnut continues to drink it in and refuses to shine.
Where is all the finish going? I wish I had weighed the thing before and after!
Is this a characteristic of chestnut?
Would I be better off stripping the finish and reverting to BLO & CA?

Jim

Grand Master
Chestnut is very porous, that may be the reason that it soaks up all the liquid ... :bwink:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I once tried a chestnut blank and didn't even get to finish it with all the tear outs. :down:

penturn

Apprentice Member
When you say boiled linseed oil, do you boiled it first and then apply it. Why boiled linseed oil as apposed to just straight from the bottle. Does it make it thinner so easier to apply and soak in? Sorry for the dumb question.

Jim

Grand Master
When you say boiled linseed oil, do you boiled it first and then apply it. Why boiled linseed oil as apposed to just straight from the bottle. Does it make it thinner so easier to apply and soak in? Sorry for the dumb question.

Simon, you buy it as Boiled Linseed Oil, i believe that it helps dry the CA much quicker when used in conjunction ... I also use this on light woods that have very little grain, i make a few applications then leave it a few days to dry, you will be surprised how it lifts the poor grain ... :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Alcoholic wood please the senses. All of the treatments require care and there are rules to follow for each one of them, starting simple and follow other peoples recommendation mastering one at a time good fishing IMHO. Have fun Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).