• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Stabilisation

kjmc1957

Registered
I know a few folks have tried stabilization, I'm going to, hopefully early in the new year, but I just wanted to know the answer to this question, if I were to stabilize a turned bowl from dry seasoned timber would it move at all, it's not for bowls as such, its for another idea I have which will involve bowl shaped pieces.

Jim

Grand Master
Funnily enough Kevin, i have just been surfing the web on the same subject, and again like you for next year .. I would think that the wood be ok if fully seasoned, but i am only guessing at this .. :thinks:

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi Jim

My thoughts are that if you remove all of the moisture from the timber in the vacuuming stage and then introduce the stabilizing fluid which is cooked to 'rigidity' the acrylic is holding the cells together so that there can be no movement, maybe others have other insights they can offer.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).