• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Space pen

Pete B

Registered
Hi,

I have been arranging to make these on and off for a while now. This one is part of an order for 50, a numbered series by the customer.
tetrus stylus components that have a nice double twist action, schimdt refil.
Jet, stone blank lasered and paint filled. The upper barrel and clip are also engraved.
When i started i found i didn't have bushing so made some abit over size from nylon then finished between centres and vernier calipers etc.
The stylus was not used as i had to set some kapton foil that was flown in space in 1969. I was a bit terrified doing this part as there is only a limited amount available and i din't want to mess up. This part took the longest by far.
The hard part was keeping the foil central and getting the same size and shape each time.
The pic was taken before the top part was epoxiedin and appologies for crap quality pic as i forgot to set the white balance.
T and C's welcome.

Regards

Pete
11.9.14 004.jpg

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thats fantastic Pete, I too would be very nervous about playing with limited material especially that. What kit have you used?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You deserve a medal for perseverance with that task.
Not my kind pen but that don't mean it ain't good.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Wow the work involved must have been phenomenal :thumbs:
I can imagine what would happen if I tried to turn jet ..... it would explode :rolling:

Pete B

Registered
Hi,

there was a bit of time involved the most being the plastic.
tetra stylus kit, beartoothwoods i think it was.
They do have a clever stylus that's an alternate to silicone.
Its not jet the rock its a resin composite that was the only material the customer would accept as it was plain and not acrylic. Its quite hard but i used normal tools, sharpened more than normal perhaps every third blank.

Pete

Jim

Grand Master
I like it Pete, who did the engraving for you?

It can get a bit nervy when making a pen for a customer, but to make some with limited material must be a nightmare, kudos to you for this Pete .. :winking:

Pete B

Registered
Thanks everyone.
Jim L squared lasers, the director called Mat, nice helpful bloke.
To be honest i was very nervous about the casting but Walters tip about putting the wet resin on the bandsaw worked a treat. Getting rid of the bubbles.

Regards

Pete

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
An astonishing amount of time well spent pete! Bet you're making a few quid from these beauties, you deserve to!!:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).