• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sorby pen jaws

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Just purchased some Robert Sorby pen jaws for my Supanova chuck and I have just drilled a 12mm hole and a 10.5mm hole through some 20mm Thuya burr. I was using ordinary metal twist bits with the lathe running at around 500 rpm and the holes have come out bang on centre at both ends of the 2 pieces of burr. At £24.95 I can certainly recommend these jaws for accurate drilling and there is no need to buy "fancy" drill bits as ordinary twist bits did the job brilliantly:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Just a few more little expensive items to add to the collection Terry, then you can call yourself a serious pen turner ... :ciggrin:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I thought that was what the hobby is all about, spending money on stuff you don't really need. Will they fit the axminster chuck?

keith

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
They are Keith!! There are only 2 jaws but they each have a groove in that exactly fits the squared edge of the blank thus giving perfect alignment. Consequently the hole is perfectly true right through the blank.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Taking you up on the ordinary drill statement I use DeWalt Extreme2 HSS-G Drill Point drills wherever I can they are fabulous around the same price have made hundreds of blanks over and over again one drill no breakout one fastish speed (never change speeds). They never track away with the grain minimal costs per blank of any drill I have used.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).