• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Burr blanks

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Is it me or what but I find turning burr blanks slightly frustrating.
I turned a Thuya burr this morning to put on a Marksman Eagle fountain pen. I finished turning and sanded down to 6000 grit before putting on CA. I stopped the lathe to inspect the wood only to find a small piece had chipped off!!!!! This is not the first time this has happened with a burr and to then strip the barrels to put on a different blank.
Am I doing something wrong or do others have this problem?????:down::down::down:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
soak the ends in thin ca turn down a bit then soak the blank then turn as normal checking as you go .Frankie :thinks:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I do same as Frankie, or maybe a bit more I tend to drench the whole thing in thin ca then leave it overnight.
Apply copious amounts while turning, letting it dry as I go.
Always worth the extra time and effort for a lovely burr.
I find it finishes easier too with plenty of ca hardened in the voids.
Keep a nice sharp skew all the time too is a big help.
I am sure the experts here will have their methods which may differ but this works for me.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
I do same as Frankie, or maybe a bit more I tend to drench the whole thing in thin ca then leave it overnight.
Apply copious amounts while turning, letting it dry as I go.
Always worth the extra time and effort for a lovely burr.
I find it finishes easier too with plenty of ca hardened in the voids.
Keep a nice sharp skew all the time too is a big help.
I am sure the experts here will have their methods which may differ but this works for me.

Thanks George. It makes sense what you and Frankie have suggested and I am surprised that I never thought of something like this as I am sure I have seen suggestions posted like this before but maybe not on this forum!!! :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
I have had the same in the past Terry, but i now refuse to use Thuya burr on pens without a good wall thickness. I use the skew once i have got it round sharpening regular. The thing i do that stops it chipping is come in from the edge of the blank and as it get towards the other edge i twist my wrist left with a slight lift with the elbow .. Try it, it works on all soft and porous blanks too ... :bwink:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
I have had the same in the past Terry, but i now refuse to use Thuya burr on pens without a good wall thickness.

That is a good point Jim but as you know the Marksman does have a good wall thickness. I have since done the Marksman in that olive wood that you gave me. Is the wood Spanish olive by any chance??? Photos to follow!!!

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
By their nature burrs can be tricky to work with (especially grizzly burrs - sorry, hat, coat, goodnight).

I find with the more reluctant ones that a soaking with thin CA now and again as you get close to size helps prevent chipping and stabilises the blank. I have also been known to glue bits back on and fill holes with sawdust and CA. With care such repairs are invisible on the finished pen.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I tend to stay away from nasty Burls but when I find a particular burl that tends this way using various grits well before normal can eliminate this problem together with thin CA for the horrible ones.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).