• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

More wood delivered

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
My friendly tree feller called to work today. Two nice logs of apple 18in by 9in, two of pear 2ft by 8in, lump of walnut 2ft by 10in and two 3in thick lengths of something that I think is mulberry. Its got white sapwood and green heart wood and its oozing a green sticky sap with a bark that looks similar to cherry. Anybody got any ideas?
Also what he tells me is walnut is very light coloured, more like sycamore. The bark is smooth and greenish. Any help?
Sorry I can't take photos as I'm away at work at the moment.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Lucky you, wish I could strike up a friendship with a tree surgeon. Having said that I've been offered a 2ft by about 10ft tapering branch of Eucalyptus which I'm looking forward to getting. Can't help you with identification though

Jim

Grand Master
Lucky b%%*$"d .. :thumbs:

I have some mulberry that has a reddish stripe in it, not sure if this helps Keith .. :thinks:

lignaterrae

What you describe as mulberry fits that timber very well, especially the white (pale greenish) latex oozing under the bark on the cut end grain.The only thing similar when fresh cut is laburnum but it lacks the latex.
Walnut in small sizes can consist mostly of pale grey sapwood but at 10" I would have expected a small amount of the darker heartwood in the core. The bark of English walnut is fairly smooth but a dove grey colour. Sounds like you might have got something other than walnut. Any pictures?

My friendly tree feller called to work today. Two nice logs of apple 18in by 9in, two of pear 2ft by 8in, lump of walnut 2ft by 10in and two 3in thick lengths of something that I think is mulberry. Its got white sapwood and green heart wood and its oozing a green sticky sap with a bark that looks similar to cherry. Anybody got any ideas?
Also what he tells me is walnut is very light coloured, more like sycamore. The bark is smooth and greenish. Any help?
Sorry I can't take photos as I'm away at work at the moment.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
What you describe as mulberry fits that timber very well, especially the white (pale greenish) latex oozing under the bark on the cut end grain.The only thing similar when fresh cut is laburnum but it lacks the latex.
Walnut in small sizes can consist mostly of pale grey sapwood but at 10" I would have expected a small amount of the darker heartwood in the core. The bark of English walnut is fairly smooth but a dove grey colour. Sounds like you might have got something other than walnut. Any pictures?

Thanks for that. I'm not at home at the moment so no access to a camera but you've confirmed my thoughts on the Mulberry. Just had another look at the 'walnut' pale wood with a smooth green bark. I'll be seeing my mate tomorrow and quiz him.

keith

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).