• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A diamond carbide tipped detail tool.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I purchased a diamond carbide tipped detail bit from the States and decided to make a tool with it yesterday. The idea behind it is to do the final finishing on pen blanks just like the skew.
The handle I made from Ash and the shaft is 7/16in stainless steel.
Unfortunately I don't have a ferrule as yet. I went to Wickes and B and Q for some 22mm copper pipe to make a ferrule only to find the price for one 2 metre length is now £17 and I only want less than 1 inch.
£17 is more than the cost of making the rest of the tool!!!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 81

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
I purchased a diamond carbide tipped detail bit from the States and decided to make a tool with it yesterday. The idea behind it is to do the final finishing on pen blanks just like the skew.
Unfortunately I don't have a ferrule as yet. I went to Wickes and B and Q for some 22mm copper pipe to make a ferrule only to find the price for one 2 metre length is now £17 and I only want less than 1 inch.

We do a school project that uses 22mm copper Terry.
I keep all the offcuts to weigh in at a later date. Pm your address and I'll send you some.
Regards,
Neil

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Well done Neil I was just about to offer same.
I do like your tool Terry but don't let it become public or people will talk init?

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
If you want a bit of 22mm copper Terry drop me a PM with your address, nice tool mate :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
You only need to mention want on this forum and its delivered... did I ever mention I want a Ferarri?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

I take it that you are going to use a long edge rather than the point? Nice build:thumbs:

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
What a great looking tool Terry, love the handle also .. We have some fine tool makers in this forum .. Must write this down so i don't forget .. :thumbs:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Great tool Terry, hope it performs as well as it looks:wink:
Too late to offer copper tube for this project but for future ref nobody on here should be buying from Wickes or ebay. I've always got scrap from the kitchens I fit so if anyone needs some for ferrules just pm me.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).