• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Learning the ropes of pen turning

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Did you start with reading or watching videos etc, i started pen turning after seeing jim in his workshop making them but i also bought Kip & Rex's basic pen turning. To be honest the dvd did nothing for me, but i would buy another dvd if it was for the more experianced pen turner. :thinks:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I also bought the rex and kip dvd but i started when my dt teacher tought me and got me addictived

Jim

Grand Master
I would also buy a decent pen making DVD, as long as it was showing turnings for the experienced and not basics. I am always looking at ways to improve making pens ... :thumbs:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I haven't started in earnest yet I am still messing around reading and watching youtube vids etc.
Looking at forums and gleaning knowledge from these sources.
Finding the time and space to do it will be a problem, I have a basic setup which has been good enough for what I have done so far.
I have found a local wood turner here but he is not interested in pens I am working on him for this.
I am totally self taught so far but am learning so much from Ozwaldo here on the bigger stuff he has me turning bowls of some 24 inch diameter and I am loving it.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
That is good news for us clumsy, you will be able to teach us how to make bowls. :thumbs:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I am self taught and started out making bowls and just recently started making pens. The only tuition I have had is an afternoon with Jim. I have considered having a lesson from a pro but haven't got round to it yet!!!:thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
I am self taught and started out making bowls and just recently started making pens. The only tuition I have had is an afternoon with Jim. I have considered having a lesson from a pro but haven't got round to it yet!!!:thinks:

Your turnings are very good Terry, so a day just honing up on your bad habits would be sufficient ... :thumbs:

I hope you know what i mean by that ... :bwink:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
After I bought well acquired, my first lathe, I saw some pen kits, (Sorry hardware) and thought I would have to give them ago.
Got home and found that I didn't have a Morse taper in the head stock spindle, crap:vangry: But my drill press did :whistling: so made up a jig to turn the pens on it :thumbs:
After the wife insisted in getting a computer, I searched for wood turning one day and found my masterpieces weren't quite that :whistling::whistling::goesred:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
I am mostly self taught but watched some utube vids on various things.
Found a really friendly forum where knowledge & inspiration was freely given and met up with some of them down in Lincs 1 Saturday for a woodturning show & some more free advice from Woodyturner.
Haven't really looked back since then.
Although would be nice to meet up with some more woodturners in the South Lanarkshire area but the nearest club is 35/40 miles away.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I find that i learn more been at the side of someone rather than watching a dvd or youtube clips. :thinks:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I used a lathe at school in 1971, it was the only machinery in the woodwork room. Last year decided to start kitting my garage out as a workshop and in November got myself a Jet mini lathe a few kits and basically started turning pens.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).