• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Collets

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I see the Americans seem to use these for holding there pen blanks, does anyone here use them?

er40_collets.jpg

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I want a collet chuck but they are not cheep so I will have to wait they are good for holding bullet tips Jacobs chucks can leave marks.

Jim

Grand Master
I have seen the odd posts elsewhere about them, but i doubt that i would be investing in them .. :nooidea:

trapper

Registered
Yep I use them they are great for supporting work like when your profiling a section or working with no mandrel. BUT NOT a be all and end all sometimes a three jaw chuck with moving steady and revolving centre are also an option/necessary dependant upon the operation you are doing The man benefit of a collet chuck is it grips the work at more points thana three jaw chuck or other mounting. It does not obviate the need for additional support to prevent whipping on long rod work.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I have a set of ER 25 collets hindsight I should have got a set of ER40, ofcourse the size of your lathe will depend on what size you buy.
The Morse taper collet chucks are cheap,it cost me about $30-$40 for the pair of 2MT and 3MT
I use them for when I make bullet pens etc, they grip all the way around the item evenly and don't mark the project.
Try a turning 3mm dia item in a drill chuck.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Firstly Im not a dreamer, and the collet gives more surface area on the item being held making it more secure and its better than the jacobs chuck I use now .Frankie:nonono:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
i have use the sets at college and they are so helpful they have two full sets of 20

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
No a jacobs chuck is like a normal three jaw drill chuck a collet chuck has the same principal as a router where the collet holds the bit.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).