• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Scroll Saw

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I managed to get a saw on the weekend for £50... How lucky am I? a Hegner Multicut 2.

All I need now is to find out what to do. What adhesive to stick the plans to the wood, what blades to use, plans etc.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I managed to get a saw on the weekend for £50... How lucky am I? a Hegner Multicut 2.

All I need now is to find out what to do. What adhesive to stick the plans to the wood, what blades to use, plans etc.

Great find

A long list of blades it all depends on what you want to make with it. Spray adhesive is best then put clear cellotape on top as it helps lubricate when cutting. Have a look at Steve Good's site he has plenty of free plans on there scroll down and look for the "Free Pattern Cataloge" on the left hand side.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
A long list of blades it all depends on what you want to make with it
What Derek says. Lots of blades. A cos you'll break a fair few learning. B cos they are dirt cheap :thumbs:
Spray adhesive is best then put clear cellotape on top as it helps lubricate when cutting
What Derek says, again :wink:
Have a look at Steve Good's site he has plenty of free plans on there scroll down and look for the "Free Pattern Cataloge" on the left hand side.
What Derek says. Can you see a pattern forming here :funny:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Are there different types of blades? which are the best? I guess I'll be doing stuff about 1" thick

Does any spray glue do the job or is some better than others?

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
A lot of people like the Flying Dutchman blades. Have a look at this site check out his "selecting a Blade" section.

As for the glue any spray type that just hold the paper in place and when pealed of will allow it to part reasonably easy. Something which will help is that when you print out a pattern use red ink only as it will be easier to see where you have already cut. if you use black the cut line disappears in the printed line.

Thickness is just one of the factors in choosing blades how tight you want to turn also if you make puzzles for example then a thinner blade is needed. The amount of teeth dictate how finer finish you will get. Unfortunately the list can go on so have a look at the link above for blade selection.

Forgot to add I,m no expert and only a beginner at scroll work

loftyhermes

First Name
Steve
Paul, you must be one of the luckiest people alive, a very good purchase indeed,
any brand of spray glue as long as it's repositionable, blades there are several brands that are deemed to be of good quality, Flyingdutchman as all ready mentioned, Olson and Niqua I have used these three brands, also there's Pegas blades that I've not used. I think most of them do supply a pack of assorted blades which is a good way of deciding. For cutting 1" wood I personally would use Olson's PGT double tooth No. 7 or 9.
happy scrolling
Steve

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
From my experience which is very little, I bought some blades from Hobbies, Very true about doing patterns in Red, as for sticking patterns I have used the cheap prittstick types or whatever it is lol and that's always worked for me! but not done much as I said!:rolling:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
All very good advice, but first things first.
Draw a random curved line on a piece of scrap and see if you can follow it!
If you can't see for sawdust then the bellows aren't working.
If it bounces up and down then you have a incorrect pressure on the foot.
If you snap a blade, you are forcing it to twist rather than gently rotating the wood to follow the line.
If all of the above fails, try again!
This is the advice I give to eleven year olds on their first go!
Hasn't let me down yet!:devil:

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Hasn't let me down yet!

What about us that are just a bit over eleven! ish :wink:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
All very good advice, but first things first.
Draw a random curved line on a piece of scrap and see if you can follow it!
If you can't see for sawdust then the bellows aren't working.
If it bounces up and down then you have a incorrect pressure on the foot.
If you snap a blade, you are forcing it to twist rather than gently rotating the wood to follow the line.
If all of the above fails, try again!
Hasn't let me down yet!:devil:

Yep that is all well and good Neil But he has got to fit a blade first:funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Hasn't let me down yet!

What about us that are just a bit over eleven! ish :wink:

Wait at least 4 hours until you are actually awake, look at the machine and try and remember why you are there.
If after a few minutes of hesitation you haven't got it, go for a snooze!
Repeat as necessary! :funny::funny:

Jim

Grand Master
Great find Paul, i wait to see some of your work with this my friend, please explain how you find the time to play with all these toys and have a few birds at the same time .. :ciggrin:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter

Bargain mate mine cost nearer 1500 aussie pesos new.

Regards Peter.:thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Great find Paul, i wait to see some of your work with this my friend, please explain how you find the time to play with all these toys and have a few birds at the same time .. :ciggrin:

Unfortunately I haven't had time just yet Jim. The CMM insisted that I cut the front hedge this weekend which I've not done for about 4 years now so both Saturday and Sunday and some of next weekend will have been taken up doing that. As luck would have it though the hedge is Elm so I had to spend a bit of time dipping lengths of it in wax :thumbs:

I got the scrollsaw from an older club member who had a Record Power 200 for sale for £100. It was like brand new but It was a bit bigger than I wanted so he said well I've got this smaller one if you want that for £50... the rest is history. What with the Tormek last week and another lady who's husband has passed away offering me all his stuff its going a bit crazy. This is the 3rd offer of stuff in the last 2 weeks. This week a lady has a virtually brand new Sjobergs Bench with cupboards underneath, never unboxed Trend T4 router, brand new Axminster Dovetail jig and many other new tools for sale. She is open to offers.

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Wow, 1" is serious thickness. Please don't start scrolling that thick. You will end up hating scrolling. I have been scrolling for 15 years and I avoid going beyond 3/4". If you are just learning stick with 1/4" hardwood. You will get a better feel for the saw and how the blade is cutting. Maple, Mahogany, Sycamore, Walnut are all excellent choices. Do not use pine!!! The alternating hard/soft structure is very frustrating to saw. For 1/4" I would use a number 3 or 4 skip tooth. Start with simple patterns. Let the saw do the work. Practice, practice, practice and HAVE FUN!

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks all, I've totally ignored you and sawed a piece of thick stuff, keep wandering off the lines and breaking blades.... Maybe I need to go thicker :funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).