• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mandrel rod

Jim

Grand Master
On your next to buy list from Timberbits Alex, throw a couple of these in your order they always come in handy. :thumbs:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
i have one like that but the thread is different to the nuts i have so might my a mandrel saver

trapper

Registered
Short answer 6.35 mm stainless/machine rod or 1/4 inch stainless/machine steel rod cut a thread one end suggest m6 get two nuts e'voila....... also i get my rod from K.N. Ackered printers or scanners but sometimes these are 8mm not 1/4 If I can help out let me know not too sure of my stocks at the mo

trapper

Registered
Oh Ps dril the end (tapped) shallow with 5mm drill bit will seat well on revolving centre provied your drill bit is good sharp and standard angle grindon its tip

trapper

Registered
Problem with silver steel is it has a whip under compression ...... it bows if the tailstock is advanced too tight best is chrome vandium but try thread cutting that!!! i gues you could harden by the old heat engine oil cool and quench but could then be brittle dependant on the quality of the original piece

trapper

Registered
MMMMMM thats a difficult one I have a "tame" stockist in Cardiff he lets me buy to my length requirements like if i need 250mm he will supply no minimum but maybe not as cheap as buying say a 10ft length he's fair and also not shy of telling you if it's not suitable for what you intend otherwise its internet cruising more style than surfing lol otherwise as i say look at old fax machines printers scanners etc etc all full of rod than can be repurposed and often free also stepper motors that can be salvaged and sold on or repurposed commercial cookers also a good source from oven racks etc

trapper

Registered
Yep

To be sure give em a call and ask them if its ok for machining. They are pretty helpfull and if not will suggest a grade and item for you I've bought aluminium from these people and found them to be very good

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
right i have worked out what to do i have a spare shaft like the one jim pointed out but no nut so i am going to buy a mandrel saver

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).