• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

The best years of our lives

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
The younger years or is it our senior years that brought us to wood turning :thinks:

I used a lathe at school in 1971, it was the only machinery in the woodwork room. Last year decided to start kitting my garage out as a workshop and in November got myself a Jet mini lathe a few kits and basically started turning pens.

Seeing this post by Keith gave me an idea for this thread, we have done something similar but will go with it again. :thumbs:

Most of us are of a senior age :whistling: and were not that interested in wood turning in our younger days, so what happened, where did the urge to turn wood come from? Keith seems to remember his wood turning days 40+ years ago, so what took him all these years to build a workshop in his garage. :thinks: The thing is his experience is very similar to my experience, so is it something about our youth or is it all about our senior years. :thinks:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
What i am trying to get at is, do you believe we were destined to be turners? Memories of our school days to our senior years is a long time to waste. :ciggrin:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
yep, I remember doing some turning in woodwork class in 73 / 74 for a couple of months when I was about 10, but I did more ''woodwork'' back then.
I couldn't afford the tools, kids, mortgage etc so didn't do much until the wife bought me an axminster lathe a couple of years ago.

Jim

Grand Master
Nah Jim, they were spent saving up for dancing lessons, horse riding lessons, after school clubs, girls brigade etc etc etc etc, for the girls :funny::funny::funny::funny:

Two boys were cheaper Steven, gave them a couple of quid on a weekend and didn't see them again until Monday morning ... :ciggrin:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Similarly I turned at school and loved it but I was 60's child and messing around was more the agenda than taking notice.
Anyone remember Please Sir, the Fenn street gang, what was the teachers name I can picture him now? My school was very much like that.
I never gave another thought to it until recently when I took a temp job and low and behold I was stuck at a lathe turning bits of plastic and brass for missiles.
The boss couldn't pay me so I have his equipment in my bedroom where I play with it until he can buy it back.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
One of the reasons for buying the lathe is that when I was turning at school I made the school chess trophy which was a queen about 12in high made from an old piano leg. I was dead proud of it then had to give the flipping thing away, wonder if its still in existence? Anyway now I've got some big logs of cherry I intend to recreate it. Shame I can't recreate my youth as easy. Photos will be posted when I get time to turn it, hopefully within the next month. There I've commited myself now - damn

Jim

Grand Master
Similarly I turned at school and loved it but I was 60's child and messing around was more the agenda than taking notice.
Anyone remember Please Sir, the Fenn street gang, what was the teachers name I can picture him now? My school was very much like that.

I remember those days George, and they are some of my best memories ... :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).