• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Gilliandrea

Registered
First Name
Gill
Hi,

I'm Gillian, based in Fife, Scotland, UK ;-)

My OH bought me a lathe last year and since then I have taken over the 'shed' and made it my workshop!

All of my spare time is now spent there and I recently started making pens, hoping to pick up some advice here.

I might get the Christmas pressies sorted, with all your help :D

ATB

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Welcome Gillian. Good to have another soul on board the good ship wood chip. How long have you been turning and what got you into it? :thumbs:

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Welcome to the Asylum Gillian! You will find loads of help in here, most of it will be how to get as mad as most of the inmates..
most enjoy it here and no reason for you not to, Plenty of answers to most questions in here! enjoy it...:wink:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum.

Peter

Gilliandrea

Registered
First Name
Gill
Thank you all for the welcomes.

I stopped smoking after 30 years and became a vaper, this led me into the hobby side by making my own mods and driptips etc,.

My OH was a Shipwright so I had a 'good idea' on working with wood but he set me up and taught me to use the lathe, no stopping me now... lol
I am now trying the 'normal' projects like pens... he thinks I'm mad so it looks like I have found a good place for advice :wink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Wotchya Gillian.
Browse through the tutorial section for lots of good starter tips.
And the Tips and Jigs section for some great money saving ideas.
Look forward to hearing more from you and be sure to give pictorial questions where possible.
A picture tells a thousand words init?

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
My OH thinks I'm mad so it looks like I have found a good place for advice :wink:

Well your other half is always right, he must be a good judge of character.

Hope you enjoy the banter and you will see no one takes this pen turning lark too seriously.. :thumbs:

Look forward to seeing you work so get posting the photos..:winking:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Hi and welcome some good pen turners here who can offer plenty of advice all you need to do now is sort out which ones:banana::banana::banana:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thank you all for the welcomes.

I stopped smoking after 30 years and became a vaper, this led me into the hobby side by making my own mods and driptips etc,.

My OH was a Shipwright so I had a 'good idea' on working with wood but he set me up and taught me to use the lathe, no stopping me now... lol
I am now trying the 'normal' projects like pens... he thinks I'm mad so it looks like I have found a good place for advice :wink:

Show us some photos of your mods and driptips etc.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Gillian, there are plenty of guys on here who will be willing to give as much advise that you ask for .. :thumbs:

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Welcome lots of friendly peeps with lots of good advice.. and many good laughs along the way

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Hi Gillian, let us know how far you've got with making pens and we will ply you with as much knowledge as you can cope with. If you want bits and pieces always ask on here first because many people has spare stuff that they'll sell cheaply and we even have our own resident shopkeeper in Dan who makes sure we get the best stuff at the best price.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Oh my Gillian what have you got yourself into you gave up smoking then become addicted to woodturning you poor soul lost forever and now you want to join this load of nutter's there is now no hope for you insanity is on the horizon but hey its bloody good fun have fun and please join in and show us some of your work oh I forgot watch out for the plonkers club most of all there Chairman Terry

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).