• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Metal mini-lathe - any advice?

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Hi all -

I've decided to 'invest' in a mini metal lathe. Anyone got any advice or experience of the beasts to share? Hunting around I seem to find these two options which are (sort of) affordable:

AMADEAL (top one)

ARC EURO TRADE

The Amadeal machine is cheaper and has a 100mm chuck, allowing for insertion of rods up to 20mm through the headstock. However, the Arc Euro Trade machine is a SIEG, thus a known quantity. It is pricier but has a brushless motor, although I'm not sure how much of a benefit that is.

Any ideas?:nooidea:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I don't know about these particular lathes only that they are all made in China and sold under many different names.
What I can say with a degree of confidence is that a brushed motor is much easier to control speed wise.
More controllable in as much as it can start and stop quicker reach high speeds quicker.
I cant off hand think of a power tool that is not controlled by a brushed motor or modern washing machine.
That will raise some exceptions I am sure.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I think its the gear ratio that give the torque with metal lathes but feel free to put me straight.

trapper

Registered
Hi david if I were you I'd stick to any Sieg based product. Most Mini lathes are in fact clones of this....... things such as Proxxon need maker specific accessories , including cutting tools. I'd go for a Clarke cl300m which is the same as an Axminster sc2 which is a Sieg Sc2 you will find this is branded under many different names & larke one!!. What decided me was proximity to the supplier....... I have two machine mart outlets within 10 miles. Clarkes range of accessories is rather small but I can let you have numerous alternative sources and some whacky mad professor adaptations of my own allowing small milling operations etc. The machine also has the benefit of a mt2 tailstock so many accessories are interchangeable to your woodworker. Either way its your budget that is the principle factor.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).